[Olpc-open] Distribution / Availability of $100 laptops

Adrian Pais adrian.pais at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 21:52:23 EDT 2006

Dear all,

My name is Adrian Pais and in January next year I will be volunteering for
'LinkNet' in the rural area of Macha in Zambia (see http://www.link.net.zmand
www.macha.org.zm for further information). LinkNet is involved in rolling
out telecommunications/Internet services to rural areas in Zambia.

While I'm there I would like to distribute $100 laptops to children there
(and also implement 'supporting' infrastructure to ensure that the
technology is useful and sustainable).

However, there are a number of issues which I would appreciate your comments
on:
- when will the $100 laptop be available?
- i've read that the distribution of the laptops will be through
governments. From my research it doesnt appear that the Zambian government
is involved yet. However, is there a possibility for 'direct' distribution
to organisations like LinkNet, e.g. NGOs and others?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Adrian Pais