[Olpc-open] Paul Wolfowitz: A Potential Ally Of "One Laptop Per Child"

mark.hardie at us.army.mil mark.hardie at us.army.mil
Wed Sep 13 21:26:58 EDT 2006

     Paul Wolfowitz: A Potential Ally Of "One Laptop Per Child"

     by Mark Charles Hardie Esq.
     US Department of Defense
     Biomedical Education Program

     THE HONORABLE PAUL WOLFOWITZ

     As an avid supporter of "One Laptop Per Child", I believe that it
     it critical for OLPC to garner the support of prominent individuals.
     One such individual is President of the World Bank The Honorable
     Paul Wolfowitz.

     Mr. Wolfowitz is respected in The White House, The Pentagon, in
     Academia and maintains close relationships with governments around
     the globe.  Reference:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wolfowitz

     It is in the best interests of OLPC to arrange a private
     meeting and demonstration with Mr. Wolfowitz.  I specifically
     suggest a meeting in New York for the sake of convenience.

     Note:  I am suggesting Mr. Wolfowitz as a "strategic supporter" of
     OLPC, not necessarily a "public supporter" on the project.  In other
     words, it is not necessary for Mr. Wolfowitz to publicly announce his
     support of OLPC.  There are more subtle ways that Mr. Wolfowitz
     might encourage OLPC.  In the intelligence community there is a
     saying, "there are 'mouths' and then there are 'brains'".  From my
     perspective Mr. Wolfowitz is a 'brain'.

     GENERAL JOHN PHILLIP ABIZAID

     General John Phillip Abizaid, Commander US Central Command

     In an earlier communication, I suggested a meeting between OLPC
     representatives and General Abizaid.  This meeting is key for several
     reasons:  (1) As Commander of CENTCOM, General Abizaid commands
     all US forces in the Middle East and the Horn of Africa; important
     areas for OLPC (2) General Abizaid could assist OLPC in Iraq and
     the Middle East (3) As an American of Arab descent, General Abizaid
     has credibility in the Middle East and has publicly declared that
     he "loves the Arab world".

     Reference:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Abizaid

     POLICY OF "NON-POLITIZATION": THE ART OF BIPARTISAN SUPPORT

     It is imperative for One Laptop Per Child to maintain a non-politicized,
     bipartisan status within the American context.  This can be achieved
     by garnering bipartisan support.  From the Kennedy Family on the Left
     to the Bush Family on the Right, effort should be made to ensure that
     One Laptop Per Child remains "above the political fray."  This approach
     ensures that OLPC maximizes the advantage of relationships with both
     Republicans and Democrats.

     After law school, I served as Special Assistant to California Governor
     Pete Wilson, a Republican.  Once Governor Wilson left office, I briefly
     interned in the Los Angeles office of Senator Barbara Boxer, a Democrat.
     I did this because I sought to attain a "bipartisan" understanding
     of the American political context.  I truly believe that "bipartisanship"
     is the best and most secure path for One Laptop Per Child.

     To paraphrase President John F. Kennedy, "let the word go forth, from this
     time and place, to children around the world--that the torch has been
     passed to a new generation of children--who have been empowered by
     One Laptop Per Child with an educational network designed to make
     learning a source of freedom, creativity and hope."

     Respectfully & Cordially

     Contact:

     Department of Defense
     Biomedical Engineering Education Program
     527 I Avenue, Suite 2302
     Sheppard Air Force Base
     Texas  76311-2534