[OLPC New Zealand] brief report

Barry Vercoe barry at laptop.org.nz
Wed Feb 5 16:24:13 EST 2014

Chris, Rory, et al

_School takeup_

Yesterday's 3 school visits v successful.  Great seeing the children of
Pukehina school responding so enthusiastically as to win over all their
teachers.  This tiny remote decile 1 school will increase its TECT BOP
matching request from 10 to 30 XOs. That brings our sales for this week
to 75 XOs.  I'm still seeking matching support for some already
enthusiastic schools in South Auckland and beyond.

_Reduced Pricing_

Lowering the price to $350 per XO (including XOP power rack, student
repair kit, HDMI cabling, bilingual OS build, help with installation,
free shipment from our Sydney warehouse, all Customs and GST costs) has
been a help for these low-decile NZ schools. With TECT matching, for
instance, that puts a personal XO in the hands of a child for $175.

_XO-Trainer Activity_

We're on track to have the 15-hour on-line teacher Certification
training become an XO _on-board_ Activity that teachers can _complete in
about 5 hours_.  Fast local certification should allow shipment of
classroom XOs from Sydney within 2 days of teachers receiving their own
XOs (which I'm stockpiling here in Tauranga for fast local delivery).
We anticipate having the XO-Trainer Activity in our bilingual NZ build
by March 20.

_Web site_

Mark Easton, who has been doing our web page www.one-education.org.nz,
is pulling out due to work pressures. The site needs a better NZ look
and feel.  Also needs a Registration page so that schools can log
details to assist ordering, invoicing, getting teacher XOs quickly, and
DHL direct delivery of classroom XOs from Sydney.
I know nothing about web development, does either of you?

-- B