[OLPC New Zealand] Auckland Testing Summary 6 July 2013

Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn alanjas at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 6 08:29:06 EDT 2013

>Labyrinth and Maze are both called Kōwhīwhiwhi - suggests an >inappropriate translation of Labyrinth (guess it should be translated to >a word more appropriate for brainstorm/mindmap activity).
In spanish we have the same problem, and the Labyrinth name waschanged to "Mind maps".Would be good rename the activity in the activity.info to "Mind maps" and avoidthis problems.
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 22:01:52 +1200
From: tom at carrott.org
To: olpc-nz at lists.laptop.org; Devel at lists.laptop.org; testing at lists.laptop.org; barry at laptop.org.au
Subject: Auckland Testing Summary 6 July 2013

Auckland Testing Summary 6 July 2013
Who: John, Tabitha, Tom

Testing XO-system 1a For XO-4 (build 46)
Sugar 0.98.7
Firmware Q7B35

Found that my previously described customization script was not working
right -- the /etc/sysconfig/keyboard change is overwritten during first
boot! Updated the customization script to also hack olpc-configure. Will
look at options to do this better later.

Found that this build does not include the Maori translations for sugar
itself. Worked with CJL to get the language pack into the customization
script. We're not sure how we missed this as we have done a moderate
amount of testing with Maori in previous builds, perhaps we saw the
activities translated to Maori (activities are built differently) and
just didn't notice that sugar itself had no Maori.

The language selector is awful. It's slow to appear, the drop downs
don't work the first time you use them and they scroll very slowly
compared to the number of entries but too fast to easily spot your
desired language. Sometimes when changing the language, when you click
the restart now, nothing happens. If you click restart later and then
restart the whole laptop the changes seem to take affect.

Some activities that we were expecting to be there, were not (maybe we
are getting confused between builds prepared for different deployments).
There is no GetBooks but there is Read (without any books!). There is
also no Infoslice. There is no SocialCalc. There is no eToys.

In Browse we went to activities.sugarlabs.org and tried to use the touch
screen to write in the search but that didn't work, you had to use the
touchpad button to activate the search box. You also couldn't just touch
the button that starts the search, you had to use the touchpad button
(or enter key). You could however use the touchscreen to select the
activity to go to the activity page and touch to select download.
Activities did however download successfully, install and run (like the
Music keyboard activity btw).
There used to be a menu on the left side of the homepage in Browse but
it has gone on all the XO-4 homepages. You used to use that menu to
access maps, images and sound files, as well as any published Infoslice
activity.

Maze works.
Paint works well with touchscreen.
Physics works well with touchscreen.
Implode works well with touchscreen.
Portfolio works.
Measure works well with touchscreen.
Labyrinth works.

Write works and the Maori Macrons (now, after some changes) work. The
insertion of a table changes the font to times new roman which is not
actually a listed font available in Write.

We're not sure if there is a camera in the XO-4 SKU 303 serial
SHC318001EC we just got from Australia, there is something there but it
is at best mis-aligned. This laptop did get banged against a wall on
it's handle while it was closed. The direction of the impact was mostly
parallel with the plane of the shut laptop and wasn't too severe. Could
this move the camera in the body of the laptop and also break it?
Firmware camera test fails, record behaves reasonably (it only offers to
record sound). Barry reports the second XO from the pair in this
shipment has a working camera. The XO-4 we got from Boston does
recognise it's camera on and it can take high and low quality video
well. Will take photographs and wait for advice before opening.

Moon still fails to start when the XO language is Maori. Previously
reported in https://sugardextrose.org/issues/3971
Clock - loving the new grab hands feature, still doesn't talk when XO is
in Maori. Maori issue also reported in the same 3971 ticket.

Labyrinth and Maze are both called Kōwhīwhiwhi - suggests an
inappropriate translation of Labyrinth (guess it should be translated to
a word more appropriate for brainstorm/mindmap activity).

On some laptops terminal is called Terminal and on others it is called
Kāpeka.

WikipediaEN has not had an activity name translation either but this
might be deliberate.

Turtleblocks activity has a partial translation inside the activity due
to new blocks being added. The name of the Turtleblocks activity has not
been translated (but again that might be deliberate).