[OLPC New Zealand] Māori Macrons & olpc keyboard

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Mon Jul 1 03:35:03 EDT 2013

On 26/06/13 22:16, Tom Parker wrote:
> What is the best way to modify the laptops? Copying modified output of
> xkbcomp to /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/mi and running
>
> setxkbmap mi
>
> does the trick, but setting the content of /home/olpc/.Xkbmap to mi does
> not make this the default after reboot.

There is a clue on the Manufacturing Data page on the olpc wiki, you
need to modify /etc/sysconfig/keyboard and change the "us" to "mi".

So to recap,

To create and install a new Maori keyboard using the maori.patch from my
previous mail:

xkbcomp $DISPLAY orig.xkb
patch -p0 <maori.patch
sudo cp orig.xkb /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/mi
sudo vi /etc/sysconfig/keyboard

in the last command change the XKBLAYOUT="us" to "mi".

This isn't the "right" way to do it, but it works and is probably good
enough for now. If the users like the layout we'll do what we need to do
to get it into the build.

Is Jerry's xs.custom
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2013-June/006510.html
suitable for customizing an XO?