[OLPC New Zealand] [Testing] Testing Summary, Auckland - 5 May 2012

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sat May 19 03:13:27 EDT 2012

On 19/05/12 17:31, James Cameron wrote:

> The audio driver in the kernel could be changed, yes, but "flag that
> the microphone is mono" is ambiguous.  I don't know whether the kernel
> should duplicate the samples from one channel to another when an
> application asks for stereo input, or refuse to set up a two channel
> input stream.

My guess is applications either understand the mono flag and request a mono input stream or don't understand and will behave best if it has largely the same signal on both channels. So I guess my naive approach would be to tell the applications that the hardware only supports mono and simulate stereo by sending both channels the same data. Of course I've never done any audio related development so you probably shouldn't listen to me.

On Moa with Q4D10 and

> - with the device connected, does the laptop freeze if the escape key
>    is pressed to reach the ok prompt during the countdown?

No, the OK prompt works.

> - is there any serial output that corresponds with the laptop
>    freezing?

I haven't hooked up the serial port yet.

> - if you can get to the ok prompt, try "p2" or "dir u:\" or "boot" and
>    tell me which of these freeze the laptop.

p2 reports:

USB devices:
/usb at d420800/hub at 0,0
/usb at d420800/hub at 0,0/device at 4,1
/usb at d420800/hub at 0,0/scsi at 4,0
/usb at d420800/hub at 0,0/scsi at 4,0/disk

dir u:\ freezes

This behaviour was the same on Q4D13 on Kiwi and Q3C06 on Ivy (p2 was different but still returned 3 entries associated with the phone) and Q2E48 on Moodle (p2 different again but still 3 entries associated with the phone).

The phone isn't presenting a disk, it's presenting an ADB connection and maybe some other services, but I haven't enabled it's mass storage option.

lsusb -v on Linux reports the following:

Bus 001 Device 100: ID 12d1:1038 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. Ideos (debug mode)
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x12d1 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
  idProduct          0x1038 Ideos (debug mode)
  bcdDevice            2.26
  iManufacturer           1 Huawei Incorporated
  iProduct                2 Ideos
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           55
    bNumInterfaces          2
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              500mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               1
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        1
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass     66
      bInterfaceProtocol      1
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

The serial port that hangs on boot is:

ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port

and it appears to hang in the kernel: https://plus.google.com/photos/118146064923365210751/albums/5468706263336090945/5744135759942268450?banner=pwa

I have another serial port which does not hang boot up:

ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

I haven't done a side by side comparison of these two devices.