[OLPC New Zealand] Good day for a solar panel test

Stan. SWAN stan.swan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 20:29:25 EDT 2012

Nicholas et.al: Nice to hear of this development & indeed I'd like to see
some pix,dimensions & prices! That Voc 18V, 1.140A Isc looks to make it
~15W @12V?

Since my ~2008 (?) OLPC powering reflections the global photovoltaic market
has of course experienced a MOST satisfactory pricing reduction, & it's
quite common now to see poly & mono X panels in this 10-20W range retailing
for ~US$3-$4 a Watt. Here in Wellington (NZ) crowds such as Jaycar &
boating outfits seem to be slashing PV prices almost daily! Typical is this
20W mono for ÑZ$100  (~US$80)=>
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=ZM9094&keywords=mono+solar+panel&form=KEYWORD
Back in 2007-2008 I paid ~ 3 times this price for a 20W polyX ....

Of course many of these PVs are rigid types & flexible panels still command
quite a price premium for their convenience.One pays for such packaging
rather than the energy resource...

That "short cord" (just HOW short?) comment may indeed be an issue,as many
setups have solar resources 5m or so away from the most convenient user
position. PVs are pretty rugged (& being cheaper now are less likely to be
stolen), but if users/OLPCs need to  outside for charging then a risk
arises of equipment theft & passing traffic/animal/weather damage etc. At
~1 Amp current the voltage drop along a somewhat longer (& suitable guage)
cable is pretty tolerable after all- it's not as if you are doing arc
welding!

    I await your  further insights & "tutu" awards !    Regards- Stan.

Stan. SWAN - Educator/writer.     EMAIL: => stan.swan at gmail.com
CELL:  (64)-021-672-958      HOME: (64)-(4)-562-7494     GST Reg: 36-921-021
POSTAL:  24 Tuatoru St,  Eastbourne-L.H.,  Wellington 5013,  NEW ZEALAND.