[OLPC New Zealand] Testing Summary Auckland 25 August 2012

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sat Aug 25 18:24:03 EDT 2012

Testing Summary Auckland 25 August 2012
Who: Fabiana, John, Tabitha, Tom
Testing 12.1.0 Build 20 on XO-1, XO-1.5 and XO-1.75.

Simba XO-1
Measure: starts up ok - single channel recording. Gain and time control
seem ok. Waveform looks reasonable - FFT ok. Pause ok. Query: Are these
scaling controls on a log scale? Sample: I don’t see the frozen screen
of what is being captured every time interval -- I thought I was able to
see that before?
Paint: seems ok
Shutdown: cannot shut down through right click (although option is
there) nor can I restart - need to push power button but didnt show me
the shutdown screen so was confused.

Moa XO-1.75
Measure: starts up ok - two channel recording -  Gain and time control
ok,  Query: Are these scaling controls on a log scale? The refresh  is
set so that I seem to always have two waveforms from a single channel at
any time - so you can’t really look at a single waveform at any time -
there are advantages to this, but it can be kind of confusing - I don’t
get the same problem with Simba. FFT ok, except here too I get 2
consecutive waveforms displayed. Sample: I don’t see the frozen screen
of what is being captured every time interval -- I thought I was able to
see that before? Records of sampling seem ok when opened from the
journal. The log of the samples seem odd - they don’t seem to reflect
what I did. I started recording at 1 sec interval and changed to 30 sec
after about 5 sec but hard to understand what the log is showing me when
I open it as a text file. The metadata seems fine - but am a bit
confused at the data structure. (same on simba)
Physics: I still get the funny thing at the top of the screen where it
displays intermittently the image - I can trigger this behaviour by
building a tall rectangle that spans the height of the canvas.
Memorise: all three grids work
Paint: seems to work ok

Ivy XO-1.5
Record works, initially video quality was poor but restart of the
activity fixed it
Write works
Getbooks and Read work. Getbooks icon in home view circle does not
colour after use and there is no record of use in the Journal, but the
book downloaded does show in the Journal. Read icon does colour when
displayed in the home view circle (after you read a book).
Measure - looks good on first opening of activity, unlike Rosella
Wikipedia EN - works
Tamtam mini - works
Browse - works
Maze - works on own

Rosella - XO-1.5
Maze - can play on own, could invite Ivy on local wifi but Ivy couldn’t
join. The icon appeared in frame area but clicking it never resulted in
Maze opening, just get X in the middle. Tried joining from neighbourhood
and got Maze to open but it opened new Maze not the shared one. Then Ivy
couldn’t see Rosella in neighbourhood but Rosella can see Ivy. Rotate no
good, doesn’t resize to fit so part of maze is not visible in 90 and 270
view (but when would you use this view?).
Implode - level 1 works, rotate is okay and can complete using all angles
Ruler - works, rotate doesn’t resize thankfully so your ruler is still
accurate! It does go off screen in 90 and 270 view
Speak - pitch/rate, eyes/mouth work, robot works, didn’t test
collaboration. Rotate works on all angles, 90 and 270 view the buttons
change to drop down menu nicely.
Finance - works, would really like a repeat function for recurring
events like regular income so you don’t have to do so much typing.
Rotate works.
Moon - works, rotate works (resizes to fit)
Tamtam mini - works, rotate not so good though as doesn’t resize to fit
90 and 270 view (though you do get scroll bar).
Clock - works, rotate is fine, would be good to change DDMMYY order to
match local expectations
Memorize - all 3 preloaded games and sizes work, create and play own
game works, rotate works
Stopwatch - works, rotate works
Chart - works, rotate resizes to fit
Measure - on one startup it went crazy!
https://picasaweb.google.com/118146064923365210751/OlpcTestingAuckland?noredirect=1#5780726822164516626
Suspend/resume by closing lid and the Measure display is fixed. Is this
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2509? we’ve seen it a few times on
production laptops, so perhaps we were too quick to assume it was
prototype hardware related?
Browse - works

We received two XO-1 laptops which refused to turn on, following the
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Fix_Clock instructions to set a valid time via
the serial port fixed both of them. The clock batteries appeared to be
working, in place and not leaking. They both had very old software which
had the nice feature of showing which activities are running on the home
screen. They now have 12.1.0 build 20 and are on their way back to their
owners.

On XO-1 (and presumably the others, I didn’t try), using yum to install
ntpdate causes a strange prompt to import a key. It seems that the key
is already present on the laptop but yum doesn’t trust it, but it
certainly doesn’t present enough information to make a reasonable trust
decision. Also, we see an error about the rpmdb checksum, but ntpdate
seems to work anyway.

Downloading Packages:
ntpdate-4.2.6p5-2.fc17.i686.rpm
   |  76 kB     00:00
warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID
1aca3465: NOKEY
Public key for ntpdate-4.2.6p5-2.fc17.i686.rpm is not installed
Retrieving key from file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-i386
Importing GPG key 0x1ACA3465:
  Userid     : "Fedora (17) <fedora at fedoraproject.org>"
  Fingerprint: cac4 3fb7 74a4 a673 d81c 5de7 50e9 4c99 1aca 3465
  Package    : fedora-release-17-1.noarch (@koji.dist-f17-i686/$releasever)
  From       : /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-i386
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Running Transaction Check
Running Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
   Installing : ntpdate-4.2.6p5-2.fc17.i686
                       1/1

Rpmdb checksum is invalid: dCDPT(pkg checksums): ntpdate.i686
0:4.2.6p5-2.fc17 - u