[OLPC New Zealand] [OLPC-AU] [Testing] Testing Summary, Auckland - 21 April 2012

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Apr 24 18:55:35 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:54:05AM -0400, Kevin Gordon wrote:
> Unfortunately, this symptom seems to appear only on our TP-link
> running Open WRT and our Buffalo running DD-WRT.  The view shows all
> 20 of the laptops when we use our Cisco or Cradlepoint AP's - both of
> which are running their proprietary firmware.  We have a tech
> volunteer here who is investigating whether there might be a setting
> within the open-source firmware for the TP-Link and Buffaloes that
> might better be able to handle these items.    One theory he is
> exploring is whether the AP is fracking the multicast.  However, we
> have no experimental proof as to the real cause yet.

I've personally seen TP-Link and OpenWRT AP problems a few weeks ago,
but they were fixed by updating the AP to the current snapshot as of
18th April.

> Further, we have done no testing on collaboration, at present we are
> just looking longingly at the pretty screen of neighbourhood view , in
> these various AP environments, since our present goal is to select a
> robust , yet affordable, AP.

That is not a sufficient test.

What I observed was that the laptop would show it is associated, but the
AP would eventually (a few minutes) lose knowledge of the association.

This was the problem that was fixed by an update.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/