[OLPC New Zealand] [Testing] Testing Summary: 19 November 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Sat Nov 26 01:28:46 EST 2011

On Nov 25, 2011, at 7:12 PM, Tom Parker wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 13:13 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
>>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_1.75_B1_ECOs#RTC_Problems suggests a fix.
>>
>> That should already have been applied to your unit, and the C1 units
>> have a switch added to the power line of the RTC, according to
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO1.75_B1_C1_Changes#Fix_RTC_Power ... so even
>> if the ECO wasn't applied on your unit, there's a chance it won't fix
>> the problem.
>
> Both of our XO-1.75 B1 laptops are loosing the time across a reboot
> while on battery power (didn't try with AC). Last week clyde was keeping
> time but bonnie was not.
>
> I'm setting it with date -u and then hwclock --systohc. A second call to
> hwclock returns the correct time. Is this the correct way to do it?

Yep.

> How do we confirm that the capacitor fix was applied? Is there a PCB
> layout I an examine, or a guide to performing the ECO?

What we discovered at runin on the B1 laptops is that the specs. for the RTC
chip were wrong.    We ARE interested if you have any C1 units losing track
of their date, but expect this to be a problem with B1 units.   You can open them
up and add additional capacitance to make them work :-)

Sorry,
wad