[OLPC New Zealand] [Testing] Testing Summary: 19 November 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sat Nov 26 17:30:02 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 11:49 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> However, don't be misled by the operating system 1970 failure in the
> current build os13.  #11400.  #11494.  The resultant year in the clock
> is the differentiator between the software and hardware defects.  If you
> see 1970, it's the software configuration problem.

I did notice that we now have dates from 1970 instead of 2000, we'll
re-test when the build is fixed.

> That is one way to do it.  I use ntpdate or rdate and a network source,
> but if you haven't got a network available and want to keep testing with
> that unit, I think date is sufficient.

yum is broken (and has been broken in every XO-1.75 build) so I'm
limited to what is shipped in the standard build. Apparently there is
nothing that can be done to fix yum except be naughty and use the olpc
build server :( I can't find the ticket where this was explained (is
there an easier way to search the tickets than laboriously removing each
irrelevant filter and then trying to decide which one is relevant?). I
think rdate is included, I'll see if I can find a public server.

> I don't think this is worth investigating.  I've B1 units with that fix
> applied, and they still forget the time.  No, the PCB layout diagram and
> schematics are not public.

oh dear

>Check out
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Quozl/Remastering for how I do it for my
> test bed; takes a .zd4 file, makes the changes I need in a controlled
> fashion, and generates a new .zd file.

Wow.