[OLPC New Zealand] [Testing] Testing Summary: 19 November 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Nov 20 17:07:51 EST 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 09:53:14PM +1300, Tabitha Roder wrote:
> os11 on XO-1.75:
> Clyde [...]
>
> Changed timezone and restarted. Worked in that the time changed, but
> the time on the computer is wrong.
>
> [...]
>
> Moon. Failed to Start.
>
> Ran the diagnostic tests. Most tests pass.
> [...]
> The RTC real time clock test failed - why? We are unable to reset the
> clock in gnome on this laptop -- it seems to be keeping time but
> thinks it is January 2000. We haven't tried our other XO 1.75

XO-1.75 B1 had an RTC power down hardware defect
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO1.75_B1_C1_Changes#Fix_RTC_Power
the effect is to lose the time over a power cycle, which includes an
operating system reboot.

It might also be intermittent and temperature dependent.

So that you don't report this unnecessarily in future, please mark Clyde
as having a forgetful RTC, which will impact:

- Moon, unless Gary chooses to fix it,

- preservation of date and time over reboot,

- the RTC diagnostic test in OpenFirmware.

Is fixed for C1.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/