[olpc-nz] [Testing] [OLPC-AU] Testing Summary: Auckland 12 March 2011

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Mon Mar 14 09:22:11 EDT 2011

james wrote:
 > On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:22:05AM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
 > > Perhaps we should consider having the wakeup triggered by _any_
 > > physical key/button press?
 >
 > how to discriminate between a human and an object left on the keyboard
 > when the lid is closed?

we could keep the laptop from waking while the lid is closed (we do
that now), but we can't then change the wakeup masks in order to wake
with any keypress after the lid is opened unless we wake when the lid
is opened (and change the masks and go right back to sleep).  but
waking when the lid is opened is exactly what we're trying to avoid
(since it can be triggered through stacking), so that doesn't work so
well.

there's also the complication that if the user explicitly requested
suspend via the power button (which makes the laptop immune to
keypress wakeups), and they then close the lid, i think it's
appropriate to continue to ignore keypresses after the lid is opened.

there's no question that the old "wake when opened" behavior was
preferable.  i was sorry to have to disable it.  note that if you only
have one or two laptops, or know you will never ever put all your
laptops in a pile or a rack to charge, you can easily revert the
behavior change by editing /etc/powerd/powerd.conf.  (that's what i
do.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org