[olpc-nz] power logging

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Sun Jan 16 19:47:30 EST 2011

On 01/16/2011 03:24 AM, Tom Parker wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 02:49 -0500, Richard A. Smith wrote:
>> On 01/16/2011 02:47 AM, Richard A. Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure halt is actually supposed to power off.
>>>
>>> If you try a :
>>>
>>> 'shutdown -h now' does it work?
>>
>> Man page says you want 'halt -p' or 'shutdown -P now'
>
> halt doesn't understand -p and shutdown installed in this
> distribution :(

shutdown -P makes it call poweroff.  Does poweroff exist?

If not perhaps you can make a request to James to add shutdown and
poweroff into his tinylinux dist.

> It does appear to switch most of the way off, it certainly cuts power to
> the usb stick.

USB power can be turned off by shutting down the USB bridge and we do
that sort of thing in suspend.  So its not a very good indicator.  Lots
of other stuff can be on while USB is off.

There are some control signals that the EC watches to decide if the main
cpu is running, suspended, or off.   Plain 'halt' must make those
signals do something unexpected or the EC isn't picking up the change.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child