[olpc-nz] [Testing] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 4 December 2010.

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sat Jan 8 01:54:43 EST 2011

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 09:17 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 04, 2010 at 04:44:55PM +1300, Tom Parker wrote:
> > Broken XO-1.5
> > The wifi adapter on Tank is no longer available to the operating
> > system.  We suspect it has suffered from the WLAN ESD problem, but at
> > yet we haven't positively identified which XO-1.5 preproduction
> > version it is.  See
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO1.5_WLAN_ESD_protection for details. We
> > will take it apart and examine the motherboard next week and
> > positively identify what we have and whether we need to fix all the
> > others we have.
>
> The serial number of Tank is SHC005008D1, and this is in the affected
> range according to the serial numbers of the same units I have.
>
> Capturing the output of "test /wlan" may help to confirm the symptom.
> This is typed at the http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ok prompt.

It fails immediately with an SDIO error, but I didn't write the exact
wording down. I've done the fix to reduce the chance of further damage.
Is there a source of new wlan cards?

Alastair, can you do the fix on Milo and Ada? They have very similar
serial numbers so are probably C2 models too.

>> This is our second broken prototype XO-1.5. The first fails to find the
> > root filesystem most of the time. We haven't had time to examine what is
> > going on with this one, save to try several different builds with
> > similar results.
>
> Needs more diagnosis.  I suggest testing the internal storage repeatedly
> using either "test int:\" twenty times, or booting a USB based Linux
> and using badblocks or other tools to exercise it

This is Shadow, an XO_1.5_B2. The test fails saying the SD card is
locked. I swapped the SD card from Tank and now they both reliably start
up. Though Shadow seems to lock up which might be the DCON interrupt
problem, as 3 times I booted it and a while later looked at the screen
to find it had finished booting but was unresponsive. Could this be
issues coming out of suspend? Next time I'll watch it and turn off the
power saving as soon as it comes up.