[olpc-nz] olpc map and deployment visits

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Tue Jan 4 03:13:52 EST 2011

Hello NZ volunteers

Two questions:

   1. Would you like to add your details to the olpc map?
   http://olpcmap.net/ is a good place to see the current deployments,
   projects, and the volunteers around the world. Here is mine -
   http://olpcMAP.net?id=383003 - and I have also added a brief for Auckland
   and Wellington (which can be altered to better describe us when I get your
   feedback). If you put your own info on the map then people can contact you
   based on what you put as your expertise and interest areas.

   2. Would you like to visit a deployment in Oceania at any point? NO
   PRESSURE, I don't expect you to drop everything and go anywhere right now,
   nor do I expect you to be self funded like Tom and I did when visiting the
   Samoa schools (just because we are insane, doesn't mean you have to be).
   I have been talking with Michael Hutak (OLPC Regional Director, Oceania)
   about compiling an expertise list so that as opportunities come up, those
   interested can be contacted. Given the commitments we all have, knowing who
   is interested means we can quickly contact those people and see who has
   availability). One idea has been to put your details on the olpc map,
   however, that maybe too public for some of us, so I am hoping other ideas
   come out of a discussion. We will continue to look at how we can fund
   volunteers supporting Oceania deployments.
   As a reminder, Oceania has deployments in Solomon Islands, Papua New
   Guinea, Nauru, Tuvalu, Niue, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Samoa, Tonga, Vanuatu,
   and soon in Kiribati, Tokelau, FSM, New Caledonia, and Palau.
   If you are interested in going to deployments in other parts of the
   world, by all means say so and I will see if we can get people talking to
   the right people around the globe. This is one of the reasons the
   olpcmap.net was invented.

Treat these questions as open to discussion - it would be great to share our
thoughts. The new year seems a good time for us to discuss our direction for
this year and what we would like to keep doing, stop doing, and/or start
doing. In Auckland we will meet again on Saturday 8 January. I am guessing
there will be a lot of people still on holiday, so maybe a few weeks from
now it would be good to do a skype or IRC across New Zealand once we have
all had a chance to put in our two cents for 2011.

Enjoy the beautiful weather :-)

Tabitha