[olpc-nz] [Testing] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 26 February 2011

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Sat Feb 26 12:23:02 EST 2011

I haven't had the chance to check os11 on an XO-1 yet, but make sure you
are using both the .onu and .uim files on an XO-1, and pointing the
"update-nand" command to the .onu file.  See
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/11.2.0 for an example of how this is done.

With the 11.2 builds there actually are two partitions being created, so
"copy-nand" does not work.  copy-nand will attempt to process a .uim
file, but all copy-nand does is look to see if the size of the file make
it look like it has image data, and process a checksum file if present
(in this case there is none).

Running copy-nand against the .uim file definitely will make the laptop
look non-functional.  I've done it a few times myself.

The two partition approach with different file system types does cause
some obscurities while watching the progress of the image being loaded
-- it will do the first short partition and then write the "blue"
cleanmarkers, but not write any cleanmarkers after the second partition,
which doesn't use them.  But once the XO-1 returns to Open Firmware's
prompt successfully you should be able to reboot and use it.

{On XO-1.5 machines, you can still use "fs-update" with 11.2.0.}