[OLPC New Zealand] [Testing] Testing Summary: 17 December 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 21 11:04:49 EST 2011

On 19 Dec 2011, at 14:11, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:

>> Labyrinth
>> Kid - works, save PDF works, save PNG works
>> Would be good to add help button so you can learn the not obvious stuff like highlight two to create a join, or change the join method to a drag between two items. We once used it for more than a week to keep track of a project (using it multiple times per day every day) and at the end we were still learning new features. This might be intentional?

It's not intentional, we (Tomeu and I) spent quite some effort trying to reduce Labyrinth (a previous GNOME python application) down to a sane set of frequently used features. The Sugar version is a lot more focused than the original UI, but I really wish I could have burned all the nasty modal switching from the original. It's also a shame the XML data structure was quite so un-structured, makes it hard to implement magic auto layout and map reflow type features.

> Can you write in a wiki page your findings?
> May be can be used to add a help to the activity.

As for some help documentation, I put a list of the shortcuts up on the wiki for teachers (again I wish the list could be much shorter but the internal code would need some major re-work):

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Labyrinth

>> Physics
>> Clyde - works
>> Kid - jumpy touchpad , when click and move while in delete mode it draws a red line like a pencil (should this happen?)
>>
> Yes (should be deleted after the object is deleted)

Yea, I call it 'the line of death' :) It's a quick way to scribble out and erase lots of shapes at once. I did hope to use different cursors to additionally help indicate the tool being used, but Physics is PyGames based and has no access to the standard GTK cursors (had to make quite some hacks just to fake the single Sugar pointer cursor).

--Gary