[OLPC New Zealand] Testing Summary: 17 December 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sun Dec 18 04:26:30 EST 2011

Testing Summary: 17 December 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand
Who: Alana, Charlie, Edwin, Elliot, Fabiana, Lazar, Leslie, Naz, Oliver,
Raph, Rob, Tabitha, Tom

CHAOS! Had loads of people visiting, lots of talking... and had to try to
fit in the testing in between talking to the new people. Apologies for any
vagueness, contradictory statements or general bad testing below.

Lent an XO-1 to Rob for math game experiments & another to Lazar for Browse
investigation.

Testing XO-1.75 build 20 sugar 0.94.1

See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_New_Zealand/XO_inventory for a
description of Bonnie, Clyde, Kid and Sundance.

We left the batteries out of 1 XO-1.75 B1 and 2 C1 for 4 days and their
clocks are all still valid.

We believe we conducted all testing with automatic power saving turned on.
Last week this wasn't possible as many things broke, but this week we had
reasonably good results.

Kid's touchpad has issues. Sometimes when coming out of suspend it is
totally unusable, with the pointer flying around the screen, this is only
fixed by reboot. Kid's touchpad continues to be jumpy during normal
operation as well as described in #11171

Clyde had issues waking from sleep, we had to hold down the power button to
reboot as it did not respond to the keyboard or the mouse. This happened at
least 3 times. If we can reproduce in more controlled circumstances, how
can we go about diagnosig? Should we connect to the motherboard serial
port? Clyde has a 1B2 motherboard with no video memory so the screen goes
black during sleep which is quite disconcerting.

Clock
Sundance & Clyde - works, talks

Calculate
Factorial works up to 5 digits but seems to crash for larger numbers.
Perhaps send an error message saying it can't handle such large numbers
rather than having the activity crash?

Write
Clyde & Kid - works

Paint
Clyde - works

Stopwatch
Clyde & Kid works
Once you hit mark too many times the marked times fall off the screen with
no obvious way of recovering them, also no way to clear the marks to start
again
Would be useful to export to text or asci for data for reports in
experiments (write use case scenario)

Moon
Clyde & Kid - works

Maze
Sundance, Cyde & Kid - works all three controls

Labyrinth
Kid - works, save PDF works, save PNG works
Would be good to add help button so you can learn the not obvious stuff
like highlight two to create a join, or change the join method to a drag
between two items. We once used it for more than a week to keep track of a
project (using it multiple times per day every day) and at the end we were
still learning new features. This might be intentional?

Read
Kid - Opened PDF from labyrinth through journal

Image viewer
Kid - opened PNG from labyrinth through journal

Implode
Sundance, Clyde & Kid - works

Speak
Sundance & Kid - works, including robot in English and Spanish
Bonnie - works, mispronunciation on some languages (not like native), robot
doesn't know own name in english,  does in spanish
Clyde - works, robot doesn't know own name in English , does work in
spanish, confused by "your" but can answer "my" name
We had a 1.75 B1 and 1.75 C1 side by side and they were behaving
differently.

Record
Bonnie - rotate caused activity to get stuck, couldn't exit from frame
either
Clyde - picture and video yes, audio broke whole laptop, held down power
key and restarted laptop, tried again record audio but on starting
recording it went white screen
Kid - audio recorded couldn't hear playback, picture and video worked but
can't hear audio (could be environment)

Physics
Clyde - works
Kid - jumpy touchpad , when click and move while in delete mode it draws a
red line like a pencil (should this happen?)
Bonnie - may have crashed but tester couldn't recall how

Turtleart
Bonnie - works

Browse
Bonnie - works

Terminal
Bonnie works

Wikipedia en
Bonnie & Kid works

Wikipedia es
Kid works

Memorize
Clyde & Kid - all pregames work

Ruler
Kid works

Tamtam mini
Bonnie, Kid, Clyde & Sundance works

Finance
Kid works

Pippy
Kid - Olympics didn't work with a no such file or directory error but other
examples did work.
Sundance - works and fast. The physics example fails with no such file or
directory, tried on Ivy (an XO-5) running build 882 and physics works fine
there. The error on Sundance follows:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/olpc/.sugar/default/org.laptop.Pippy/tmp/pippy_app.py", line
10, in <module>
    from pippy import physics
  File
"/home/olpc/Activities/Pippy.activity/library/pippy/physics/__init__.py",
line 2, in <module>
    from elements import Elements
  File "/home/olpc/Activities/Pippy.activity/library/pippy/physics/Loading
box2d for Linux (32bit)
[...]
"/home/olpc/Activities/Pippy.activity/library/pippy/physics/elements.py",
line 32, in <module>
    import box2d
  File
"/home/olpc/Activities/Pippy.activity/library/pippy/physics/box2d/__init__.py",
line 14, in <module>
    from box2d_linux32 import *
  File
"/home/olpc/Activities/Pippy.activity/library/pippy/physics/box2d/box2d_linux32/__init__.py",
line 1, in <module>
    from Box2D2 import *
  File
"/home/olpc/Activities/Pippy.activity/library/pippy/physics/box2d/box2d_linux32/Box2D2.py",
line 7, in <module>
    import _Box2D2
ImportError:
/home/olpc/Activities/Pippy.activity/library/pippy/physics/box2d/box2d_linux32/_Box2D2.so:

Typingturtle
Kid works, flickering in the words in balloons as you type is annoying. We
don't believe we specifically rechecked the performance problems discussed
last week, sorry.

Help
Sundance works and has images
Kid works

Switching to gnome and back works on Bonnie, Kid

Thanks Testers
Tabitha