[OLPC New Zealand] Testing Summary: 10 December 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sat Dec 10 05:47:27 EST 2011

Testing Summary: 10 December 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand
Who: Fabiana, John, Oliver, Tabitha, Tom

XO-1.75 testing build os18 Sugar 0.94.1 firmware Q4C07 on B1 and C1s

Stopwatch
B1 Clyde - works

Maze
B1 Clyde - works

Clock
B1 Clyde - Changed the timezone in My settings to Auckland and then checked
it in Clock and the time was correct (this is first time I've had the right
time/date/year so pretty exciting!). The talking bit didn't work.
C1 Sundance - works

Memorize
B1 Clyde - tried the three preloaded games at different sizes and all
worked but no sound on the musical instrument one. Created a game (just
text) and that successfully saved and loaded and played through. Retested
after changing power management settings and the sound works.

Record
B1 Clyde - could take photos and save them, could not take video (no
picture appears, doesn't start recording when click record, can force quit
from frame), can record audio but on pressing stop it breaks activity
(waited few minutes and it still stuck, can force quit from frame).
C1 Kid - could make video and play it back but no sound. Didn't test other
features.
C1 Sundance - could take photo, could not make video (it shows spiral for
save but never saves, activity stuck).

Speak
B1 Clyde - activity starts but no sound and lips don't move. Turned off
power management and sound works. All the buttons work for changing pitch,
rate, mouth, eyes, eyes number. Robot works (didn't ask lots of questions)
but says it can't speak default. Did not test voice chat with
collaboration.
C1 Kid - works, has sound. Didn't test robot or voice chat.

Measure
B1 Clyde - works with power management off (didn't test with it on).
C1 Kid - works with power management off.

Physics
B1 Clyde - works
C1 Sundance - works

Write
B1 Clyde - text works, formatting worked. When zoomed it exited the
activity, couldn't reproduce on any XO-1.75 we had. When reopened the
activity my work is not there but guess that is because I have not stopped
so not saved.
C1 Kid - works, no problem zooming.
Tested on Ivy the XO-1.5 running build 882 - it can zoom without activity
crashing. Think it must have been one off problem?

Paint
B1 Clyde - works
C1 Sundance - works

Moon
B1 Clyde - works
C1 Sundance - works

Finance
B1 Clyde - works. Trying to use keyboard not touchpad is hard work as don't
know keys to press nor can see which field is highlighted if any, would
like the option to use the keyboard for moving between fields to be
improved. Still have the issue that if you are looking at Budget or Chart
view and click on the icon to go back and add debits and credits you are
not put into the register view.

Ruler
B1 Clyde - works

Log
B1 Clyde - works

Implode
B1 Clyde - works
C1 Sundance - works

Tamtam Mini
B1 Clyde - works if XO hasn't been in suspend prior
C1 Sundance - works if XO hasn't been in suspend prior

Turtleart
C1 Sundance - basic test shows it working

Typingturtle
B1 Clyde - works but the writing appears so slow you have to wait to see it
(and that impacts your recorded typing speed).

Labyrinth
B1 Clyde - works
C1 Sundance - works

Help
B1 Clyde - works

Infoslice
B1 Clyde - works but really hard to work out what you should do.

Fototoon
B1 Clyde - works, would be good if you can change the colour of the text
bubble edges

Wikipedia
With more storage available on the XO-1.5 and 1.75 should we increase the
size of the wikipedia activity? In the Spanish wikipedia there are quite a
few images but there are none in the English. Should there be more images
in the English version?
On the home page of the WikipediaEN and ES activity, on the top right there
is "About Wikipedia" which appears to be very outdated. Specifically the
stats and the license.

Browse
Crashes when you visit http://www.hgpauction.com/?auctionid=159 reported
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11536 Does not crash on XO-1.5 os882. gdb
doesn't seem to work on XO-1.75 (or I'm doing it wrong) so was unable to
investigate further.

yum
Briefly working again on XO-1.75! I installed gdb and ntpdate! But broken
on XO-1.5 os882 and then also on another XO-1.75 both with this sort of
error:
$ sudo yum install gdb
http://rpmdropbox.laptop.org/f14/repodata/primary.xml.gz: [Errno -1]
Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.
Error: failure: repodata/primary.xml.gz from olpc-f14: [Errno 256] No more
mirrors to try.

gdb
Seems broken. I think I'm doing this correctly, but can't confirm on XO-1.5
os882 because yum is broken there.
$ gdb /usr/bin/python <pid of browse>
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libXss.so.1
0x4049f324 in poll () from /lib/libc.so.6
Missing separate debuginfos, use: debuginfo-install
python-2.7-8.fc14.4.armv5tel
(gdb) thread apply all bt

Thread 8 (Thread 0x425bd470 (LWP 1821)):
#0  0xffff0520 in ?? ()
#1  0x404b9eec in __libc_enable_asynccancel () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0x002bc598 in ?? ()
#3  0x002bc598 in ?? ()
Backtrace stopped: previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)

Many other threads with corrupt stacks.

Continuing browse causes browse to continue normally so the stacks aren't
really corrupt.

Suspend and Resume:
On all our XO-1.75 sound input and output works before a suspend.
On B1 Clyde after a suspend, sound output and input do not work.
On C1 Sundance after a suspend, sound output is badly broken -- tam tam
mini just gives a slow buzzing noise. The buzzing noise is not consistent
-- the second time we tried tam tam mini was just silent.
On C1 Kid with extreme power management and regular power management, tam
tam got stuck with two instruments selected and the whole application has
locked -- force quit works.
The "extreme power management" preference does not seem to be saved. It
always goes back to unticked after a reboot.
We feel that in the future we should do some quick tests of the known
problems with power management turned on and then turn it off as many many
things break in random unexpected ways when it is turned on.
On C1 Kid the touchpad didn't work at all (didn't move the arrow at all)
with power management enabled. We tried quite hard to prevent suspend by
moving finger on touchpad continuously during boot up but on all attempts
we still found the touchpad didn't work so used an external mouse for
testing other functions while power management was enabled.

Shutdown and restart from the central XO menu don't always work. Some of
the time they just do nothing. Using the power button does work to shut
down except once or twice it didn't.

Thanks testers
Tabitha