[OLPC New Zealand] [Testing] Testing Summary: 3 December 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon Dec 5 03:45:31 EST 2011

On Dec 4, 2011, at 9:57 PM, James Cameron wrote:

> Thanks for testing.
>
> On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 11:44:52AM +1300, Tabitha Roder wrote:
>>
>> We received two new prototypes! (we think they are C1s but there is no
>> information on the C1 page linked from the bottom of http://wiki.laptop.org/go/
>> XO_1.75_B1). The report motherboard 1C1 and one is SKU201 while the
>> other is SKU202.

That wiki page now exists.  SKU201/SKU202 are both C1 SKUs.

>> We have written up SKUs on
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_New_Zealand/ XO_inventory. These new
>> laptops have 1GB ram and 8GB storage, one has a high school keyboard
>> and the other has a "covered membrane" keyboard, where the hard white
>> plastic of the case flows between all the membrane keys. We don't like
>> the covered membrane, but perhaps it works better with smaller
>> fingers?

This change was done in response to requests by customers.
The membrane keyboard has never been as durable as desired.
I made the rubber membrane thicker within months of XO-1
production starting (which made typing harder), but that didn't
improve the durability much.   Further thickness increases actually
decrease the lifetime under normal use.

The customer is so upset at how many membrane keyboards they have
had to replace that they were considering just using a solid slab of PET
as the membrane.   As this provides NO tactile feedback, it was very
hard to type on.

So, yes, the "grid" keyboard is slightly harder to touch type on, but
will hopefully help keep the kids from peeling the keys off the
membrane.

>> Changed timezone to Auckland. Our new probably C1 laptops were
>> delivered with the time set to Jan 2000 but seem to be holding the
>> correct time after setting it with date. Our B1s are also behaving
>> better than they did with last week's build.
>
> Good, that means the date and time problems were most likely the
> software problems.

Please keep an eye on this.   All C1 laptops were shipped with the
date set correctly (not to 2000).    If a date is reset to 2000 (not 1970),
then it implies that the external RTC chip is somehow getting reset.

With earlier builds, multiple suspend/resume cycles would reset the
date to Jan 2000.   I hope this was a software problem, but have no
proof...    In particular, the power to the external RTC is never touched
during suspend/resume, so losing the date is strange.

>> On all our XO-1.75s we loose the first keypress after coming out of
>> power saving.
>
> This won't be fixed in B1 or C1, but is expected to be fixed in C2.

I should have fixed that on your laptops before sending them down.
Have anybody handy with a soldering iron ?   You just need to short
four sets of pads to fix it on a B1/C1....

Cheers,
wad