[OLPC New Zealand] Testing Summary - 13 August 2011, Auckland NZ

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sat Aug 13 07:35:14 EDT 2011

Testing Summary - 13 August 2011, Auckland NZ
Who: Fabiana, Gary, Nevyn, Oliver, Tabitha

Physics
Would like to be able to copy and paste objects.
Would like a tool for making an arc shape
You can't put a motor in the empty space inside a polygon, so you can't make
it rotate about it's middle -- perhaps polygons should be filled in? Or
optionally filled in so you can also put things inside when that takes your
fancy?
Would like an option to put walls around the window to make the edge of the
screen a wall (can be achieved with rectangles and pins but it takes ages).
Would like to be able to rotate shapes as well as moving them in pause mode.
Could we make use of the right click to do rotate?
A library of preset shapes would be good, such as cogs (cogs are really
really hard to draw in physics, I once tried for ages to make an
escapement).
Still want density option, maybe colour as indicator.

Free From Malaria 4 fails to start on XO-1.5 on os874 with the following
error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sugar-activity", line 21, in <module>
    main.main()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sugar/activity/main.py", line 121,
in main
    module = __import__(module_name)
  File "/home/olpc/Activities/FreeFromMalaria.activity/activity.py", line
22, in <module>
    import controller.GameController
  File
"/home/olpc/Activities/FreeFromMalaria.activity/controller/GameController.py",
line 19, in <module>
    from view import ComicScreen;
  File "/home/olpc/Activities/FreeFromMalaria.activity/view/ComicScreen.py",
line 19, in <module>
    import gtk.glade
ImportError: No module named glade
Exited with status 1, pid 1550 data (None, <open file '<fdopen>', mode 'w'
at 0x9870e38>, '0aeadc5c0cfe86537d5dc68cc97c82d90926b9c4')

Browse failed to start while testing free from Malaria on XO-1.5 on os874:
1. Run Browse, download Free From Malaria 4
2. Stop browse
3. Testing Free From Malaria (which failed as above),
4. Start Browse
5. Browse fails to start with the following error
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (HippoCanvasBox)
returning
/home/olpc/.sugar/default/org.laptop.WebActivity/data/gecko/prefs.js for key
NS_APP_PREFS_50_FILE
1313236904.651786 ERROR dbus.proxies: Introspect error on
:1.24:/org/laptop/WebActivity: dbus.exceptions.DBusException:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes
include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus
security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network
connection was broken.
process 2446: Array or variant type requires that type string be written,
but end_dict_entry was written.
The overall signature expected here was 'a{ss}' and we are on byte 3 of that
signature.
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Terminated by signal 6, pid 2446 data (None, <open file '<fdopen>', mode 'w'
at 0x9b80d88>, dbus.ByteArray('e8865bf6c4b0fee369ae5faea822991649537af6',
variant_level=1))

Browse failed to start with the same error every time, had to restart laptop
to fix it. I tried the steps above again after erasing free from malaria and
browse didn't have any problems. I didn't see this problem again.

Tested Get Books (the version that comes with os874, not the latest, sorry)
and everything seemed to work well -- this is a really nice resource if
you're connected to the internet!

Tested Log 25 on os874, couldn't find how to put log files into the journal.
We nearly always want to put log files onto a USB flash drive -- it takes a
fairly technical user to navigate to the right place in terminal and copy
the log files. Could this be automated?

I spent quite a long time on an os874 XO trying to find recently updated
activities on http://activities.sugarlabs.org -- there is an updated button
but you only get the last 5 updates. None of the advanced search options
seemed to produce a list of activities ordered by last update. Looking again
on the macbook, I see there is a view all recently updated activities which
I didn't see on the XO. I don't have an XO handy to re-check whether it
really isn't there.

Thanks testers