[olpc-nz] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 13 November 2010

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sun Nov 14 04:51:05 EST 2010

Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 13 November 2010

Who: Abishek, Fabiana, Mat (welcome newbie!), Nevyn, Robin Tabitha, Tom

Noticed that with installing lots of new activities today we had our
activity circles changed to spirals. Pretty :-)

Tetrismat-1 on XO-1.0 with Sugar 0.90 build 18 customised
Started activity. Pressed Facil. Activity crashed. Log file collected.
Repeated 3 times and same issue. It shows the initial menu screen, choosing
an option the activity closes off.

*Tetrismat 1* on XO-1.0 Build 852, Sugar 0.84.16
Ok at level 'facil' - Played through a whole game.

Wordsearch-1 on XO-1.0 with Sugar 0.90 build 18 customised
Failed to start. restarted XO and same issue. Got logs.
*
Wordsearch 1* on XO-1.0 Build 852, Sugar 0.84.16
Ok. But on main word panel, the 'o with accent' (eg.g. televisio'n) the o is
replaced with two rectangles with a cross through it. The o with accent
displays well on list on side. The activity occupies the bottom half of the
screen. Is the top half reserved for something?

Calendario-1 on XO-1.0 with Sugar 0.90 build 18 customised
Can add and delete notes on each day. But our date was wrong. Tried to
ntpdate and also used the time/date settings to set Pacific time.
Would be good if you could change the order of the notes. Would be good if
you could choose the language.
Couldn't find any dates with celebrations so bottom left corner is not well
used. Could the display show two months instead of one? That would still
leave room for holidays to display.

JAMedia-3 on XO-1.0 with Sugar 0.90 build 18 customised
Listened to variety of radio channels. Couldn't get TV menu to open.

Mathgraph-13 on XO-1.0 with Sugar 0.90 build 18 customised
Brought up a screen saying do you want to start or exit, said start but then
get white screen going nowhere. Tried to start again but same problem. Logs.
Having major performance issues on this machine, not sure if related.

Mathgraph-13 on XO-1.0 with olpc build 10.1.2
Initially reported that java wasn't installed. Installed java-2 activity
(which took a long time to install and gave no feedback while doing so).
Tried Mathgraph again and it fairly quickly asked if we really wanted to
start it. We said yes and it all disappeared. While we were looking for the
log, the Mathgraph window appeared. Changed language to english and
restarted. Mathgraph is very complicated, with some effort we plotted sin &
cos after watching this video
http://www.mathgraph32.org/spip.php?article104several times.
Unfortunately we don't speak french.
It shows the welcome screen (different from build 852) and this screen has
the option button to start. Hitting it however makes the activity quit.

*Mathgraphs 32 *on XO-1.0, Build 852, Sugar 0.84.16
It sends a message that it needs java and gives the user the option to exit
and nothing else.

Sonata on XO-1.0 with Sugar 0.90 build 18 customised
Failed to start. Got logs.
Found bug http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6121 - should I add log files to
this?

Mirage-1 on XO-1.0 with Sugar 0.90 build 18 customised
Works, can view svg and png but does not have Sugarised look (more
traditional Linux window look).

Idle-2 on XO-1.0 with Sugar 0.90 build 18 customised
Starts. Writing very small. Not tested by a developer so not sure what to do
now.

JAMesene-1 on XO-1.0 with Sugar 0.90 build 18 customised
It appears to be an instant messenger for msn - tried typing in a msn id and
it seems to work. Confirmed could message with someone else successfully.
Disconnected and closed the window, but behind the window there is a
"JAMesene failed to start" message. Got logs.

CeibalTV-1 on XO-1.0 with Sugar 0.90 build 18 customised
Starts. Pressing buttons doesn't seem to do anything. (Release notes say
works with Sugar 0.82 to 0.88). It is trying to run mplayer but that was not
installed.

*Ceibal tv: *on XO-1.0, Build 852, Sugar 0.84.16
Sends user to front screen, but clicking on the channels does not take user
anywhere

EduKT-3 on XO-1.0 with Sugar 0.90 build 18 customised
Failed to start. Got logs.

*EduKT: *on XO-1.0, Build 852, Sugar 0.84.16
Can open, not clear what user is meant to do. Managed to add pages but could
not delete pages from the toolbox bar on the right. Also could not find a
stop activity button, so had to exit through the frame.

*GeoJam 1:  *on XO-1.0, Build 852, Sugar 0.84.16
runs fine .. Entered Uruguay, sent me to the USA. Entered Auckland, sent me
to New Zealand. Entered Cordoba, forces a change to Cordova and sends me to
Spain.

Followme3:
ok on XO-1.0, Build 852, Sugar 0.84.16 and XO-1.0, Build 18 customized,
Sugar 0.90.0, firmware Q2E45

*Spirolaterals 11*:
ok on XO-1.0, Build 852, Sugar 0.84.16 and XO-1.0, and ok on Build 18
customized, Sugar 0.90.0, firmware Q2E45

*Bubble pop: *
ok on XO-1.0, Build 852, Sugar 0.84.16 and XO-1.0, and ok on Build 18
customized, Sugar 0.90.0, firmware Q2E45, image does not fill screen in
either

*Read SD Comics:* on XO-1.0 with Sugar 0.90 build 18 customised
File chooser is unintuitive. Button to open file is a small bar at the
bottom of the screen. Double clicking doesn't work. No rotate button.
Pointer disappears (troublesome using bar at top of screen) Add in final
screen at the end of the comic?

Played Xa-1 on XO-1.5 build dextrose 373pyg
Successfully played the game, enjoyed using as tablet with game control
keys, but when died had unfold the laptop and use touchpad to select from
the menu to begin again.

Noticed on XO-1.0 Running 10.1.2 that Scratch's version number is truncated
in the Activity List. You have to hover to see the full version which took
us a little time to work out.

Slightly off topic - we tested the Manaiakalani "one netbook per child"
build for the Tamaki schools (year 5-13). This is an Ubuntu image that Nevyn
built for them.

Sorry to hear no power in Wellington at the usual testing location; heard a
contractor fried himself on 11kV and lived to tell the tale.

Thanks testers
Tabitha