[olpc-nz] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 29 May 2010

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sat May 29 03:32:08 EDT 2010

Testing summary -  Auckland New Zealand, 29 May 2010

Who: Tabitha, Tom, Fabiana, Leslie, Nevyn, John, Abhishek, Liz and her
family

Tested Bernie's 0.88 build 240py on 8 XO-1.0s (apha quality as per the test
request) for Paraguay

Looks prettier, nicer activity ring view
All XOs were on MESH 11. Could not see any activities shared in the
neighbourhood view so not able to do any collaborative tests. Invite to also
fails.

Write 67 - menus and buttons all changed - where is share with
neighbourhood?
Record 67 fail - could not see camera image, could not save picture. We got
logs and will raise ticket.
XaoS 4 - cannot access Sugar frame from with XaoS. We got weird quit message
about cannot start. Got logs and will raise ticket.
Tamtam Mini 52 - sound got stuck on bubbles - got logs and will raise
ticket.
Tamtam Jam 54 - worked
Memorize 34 - addition worked first time but after changing game now all
addition, letters and sounds games freeze after first pair. Restarted and
had no issues. Got logs from the freezing attempt anyway and will raise
ticket.
Finance 3 - worked
Measure 29 - worked
Stopwatch 4 - worked
Physics 4 - worked
Calculator 30 - worked
Scratch worked. Sorry didnt get version number.

Note that settings are different - we have lots more options, yeah :-)
Successfully changed time to Pacific Auckland.
Tried translating to Spanish Paraguay - some activities are still in English
- such as Analyze, Get IA books, in Write activity some words translated but
not the word "search".
Enabled automatic power management - didn't kill the machine.
Tried switching to Gnome - seemed to operate okay but switching back
appeared to run out of memory but not sure - have to test more, sorry
Touch pad - changing to resistive mode fixed our temperamental laptop! This
feature should be pushed into all the builds destined for XO-1.0.
Unfortunately, the change didn't persist accross a reboot. See
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Touchpad_control_panel_section We
didn't need to use a stylus, a finger seemed to work.

Several XOs started to display erractic behaviour and would not shut down
after much play

We switched most XOs back to 802b6 as a working build for presentations and
workshops we are doing this week

Sugar on a Stick Mirabelle:
The torrent download was very very slow so I gave up and used the regular
download from Fedora Spins.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stickdirects you to
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/ for installation instructions, however
that page does not explain how to write the .iso file to a usb stick. I did
find http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo but the recommended
http://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator didn't work on ubuntu (I tried
compiling the source but it complained about dbus not being connected to the
main thread when I tried to run it after running make). A kind soul on irc
directed me to a utility on sugarlabs.com which worked with a very long
command line, but I have forgotten it's name and location. This utility was
much slower than the previous image-writer tool used with blueberry (which
doesn't produce working usb sticks but claims success when used with the
mirabelle iso).

Spoke to Wellington crew and hear that their testing report is on its way
too. They also tested Bernie's build.  Thanks testers for another awesome
Saturday testing event.

Tabitha