[olpc-nz] [Testing] Wellington Testing Summary - Saturday 27 February

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Mar 4 20:08:31 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:54:15AM -0600, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> Please note that when I wrote laptop.org ticket #9945, I did not call
> the condition a "defect" --  but rather a "task" to be evaluated (i.e.,
> whether Activities which can "call home" OUGHT to be installed on XOs)

I think this would be a good discussion to start on a mailing list ...
like sugar-devel@ and devel at .  I don't think it should be done in trac.
It should involve the deployment teams.

> The one time I ran the newer Speak-12 (it was not on 802B2), it did not
> "call home" - but I assumed that was because all the resources required
> by Speak-12 were available without a need to "call home".  But not too
> long ago I tested a different recent Activity (whose bundle included
> 'zeroinstall', etc.) -- and that Activity *did * call home.

I've since tested Speak-13 on build os201 and it does not start any
network connections.

If it did start a connection to obtain a component, then for reasons of
efficiency and activity effectiveness:

1.  the operating system build should have that component as a
dependency, or

2.  the activity should be removed from the operating system build.

I'm not aware of any OLPC policy against making network connections.
Every time an activity is started, this is announced using multicast
packets on the wireless and any wired ethernet attached to the XO.
olpc-update-query calls us periodically for updates.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/