[olpc-nz] Tested Sugar on a Stick on HP Mini 311

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sun Jun 20 05:25:48 EDT 2010

We tried out Sugar on a Stick on an HP Mini 311 today. Sadly the the
Broadcom BCM4312 wireless doesn't work. This chipset seems to be supported
but requires a binary firmware which is not normally distributed. I got it
going in ubuntu lucid with some hair pulling (the restricted driver thing
didn't work, had to do stuff manually), but I was unable to get it working
in SoaS. I installed the correct firmware in /lib/firmware and when I
modprobe b43, the module loads, but it doesn't create an wlan0 interface. I
don't get any obvious errors either.

I'll try again with regular fedora later.

I'm not sure what can be done here. The firmware is available from the
openwrt project, but it's not clear under what license it can be
redistributed. Given that ubuntu and debian distribute an installer package
(which downloads from openwrt) and the fedora instructions at
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43 suggest manually downloading
the firmware from openwrt, I'm guessing SugarLabs won't be distributing the
firmware any time soon :-(

Sugar displayed and functioned as expected in other respects.

Tabitha