[olpc-nz] Testing summary 12 June 2010 - Auckland, New Zealand

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sat Jun 12 04:20:46 EDT 2010

Testing summary 12 June 2010 - Auckland, New Zealand

Who: Fabiana, Tabitha, Tom

3 areas in this testing summary - XO-1.0 on 802b6 activity tests; Sugar 0.88
in Ubuntu Lucid; and XO-1.5 on build 126

Testing XO-1.0 with 802b6

Abacus-12
Tried to close and got keep error: all changes will be lost.
Looking forward to collaboration

Sugar Commander - 5
Can see Journal and Files menus. Inserted USB and could see it in files view
but could not see the files though (the USB had .jpg and .xo files) - asked
Alastair in Wellington and he can see files on USB on his XO so tried
another USB but this also showed no files.
Breadcrumb trail for navigation is good. found right click lets you see
hidden files :-)
Tried the location tool but it seems to be "type the path" when what we
really wanted was a search function; typing in addresses sometimes updated
display as we went and sometimes not.
Tried to add bookmark on folder, get: "could not add a bookmark, failed to
open file '/root/.gtk-bookmarks': permission denied" message. Add bookmark
goes grey if a file is selected.
Like the preview in files view.

Turtleart mini - 88
Shared between two XO-1.0s and found we could see each others turtles but
not scripts we were writing. There was some confusion for new user on what
the right and left do - they thought it was counting out steps not showing
degrees to turn, but once they worked out some basic functions they were
happily playing. The other thing they were confused by was the hare and
turtle to play the script - they thought if they pressed the turtle it was
just doing on step of the whole script.
While sharing on two XO-1.0s we found that if originator quit the other XO
could not properly play the activity anymore, so second XO closed activity
and reopened from journal and it did remember all the script written by
itself.

Sunmoonmusic - 1
Chose a sister channel and pressed start - activity closed itself
Tried with brother channel and pressed start - activity closed itself

Sunmoonmusicmc - 1
Chose a sister channel and pressed start - activity closed itself
Tried with brother channel and pressed start - activity closed itself

JaMedia - 1
Started activity, randomly clicked. Couldn't find any audio or video to play
on the XO - language barrier for some of us while searching as the buttons
were not in English.
Connected to the internet and listened to radio station and watched a TV
channel successfully.
Question was asked - can we add other TV and radio for other countries?

Installed Sugar 0.88 on Acer Aspire One using the Ubuntu Lucid Lynx packages

We were having issues with mouse / touchpad - after you start Sugar left
click moves windows and right click doesn't work in most windows
Rebooting does not fix it, even if you don't start Sugar. Created a new
account on the computer which turns out to not have the problem. If the new
user starts sugar, then they also have the problem. This is described in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sugar/+bug/479179 We had to use
both fixes, I deleted ~/.gconf/.../sugar (I don't remember the intermediate
directory) on the new account, but the owner's main account did not have
this directory. The "select alt only" in the window preferences fix as
described in the ticket solved the problem for this account. The owner of
the computer asked us to remove sugar as she would be tempted to try running
it again and then she would not be able to fix it herself once she clicks
Sugar.

David - This is a really serious problem -- it's GREAT that sugar is part of
the ubuntu distribution but it is TERRIBLE that it completely breaks the
computer and requires significant sleuthing to repair.

satellit_ via irc thinks that this is an old bug already fixed upstream, so
hopefully it is something that could be easily pushed to ubuntu?

XO-1.5 on build 126
Download and install successful with no tricky bits. Start successful.
Started terminal successful.

Tried our wireless keyboard and mouse, but it didn't work. This didn't work
in 125 either. It works on the XO-1 on os802b6. The usb reciever is
recognised by the kernel, but you can't control the mouse or the keys with
it.
[   69.380186] usb 2-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address
4
[   69.561158] usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=c517
[   69.561173] usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
SerialNumber=0
[   69.561184] usb 2-2: Product: USB Receiver
[   69.561193] usb 2-2: Manufacturer: Logitech
[   69.561640] usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

Can use Genius GM-03003 wired USB mouse successfully (netscroll+ mini
traveller). Movement, left and right click all successful.
Tester had to stop testing at this point to repair the Aspire netbook.
Further XO-1.5 testing to come.

Thanks testers
Tabitha