[olpc-nz] Do you know the minimum specs for in-browser activities on OLPC laptops?

Tim McNamara mcnamara.tim at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 18:46:09 EDT 2010

[sending back to the list, my bad. also, have edited topposting]

On 22/07/2010, at 7:49 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Marielle Lange <mlange at widged.com> wrote:

> Does anybody know what are the specs for the default browser on OLPC
> laptops?

Marielle,

Browse should render things that you would expect a modern smart phone to
render. They have similar processors. Browse run's with Mozilla's Gecko
engine, so the experience is fairly consistent with other Internet browsers.
 Except possibly that tabbed browsing has been disabled.

Tim

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Marielle Lange <mlange at widged.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks, that gives me some lead for a more successful Google Search.
> Looks like they keep it up to date with each new release of Sugar.
>
> I would be interested to pop by on of these Satruday to see how any of
> these in-browser activities run in browse:
>   http://widgeds.wikispaces.com/
> They are jQuery plugins written to work on pre-html5 browsers.
>
> Would it be a problem if I come with a specific test agenda?

That's perfectly fine. We could even give you an XO for a week or so.

I note that you've opened a github repository, but you've only got your
README file in there. When are you releasing the source of your app?

Just had a peek at some of the documentation. I don't know the extent to
which Sugar will play nicely with Adode Air. Installation should be fine
into Fedora, but Sugar/Browse may not be aware of it. I recommend that you
get things running in a test environment, such as Sugar on a Stick, to test
this aspect of things. Let me know if you would like a hand.

Regards, Tim.