[olpc-nz] Promoting Apache CRCSync -

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 11:58:05 EST 2010

Hi OLPC NZers!

Just writing this email, I miss Wellington already. How are things
there? As much as I'd like to, I actually can't join LCA today.

So I am damned envious of you people there. Hope you take lots of pics
for me to ogle.

There is a favour I'd want to ask you -- if I was able to make it
to LCA, my big thing would be to promote this wonky little project
that would make a huge difference for the schools that OLPC works with
-- an http proxy that uses an rsync-like protocol to only transmit the
deltas of webpages, making your reloads of slashdot almost free:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Apache_Proxy_CRCsync

We need C coders that can handle apache internals... and savvy testers
that are happy to compile an apache module, and test it by using it
and telling us about what works and what doesn't...

LCA will be full of potential victims... maybe you can help me? I'll
send Belgian chocolate in payment...

Right now it is being pushed by Toby Collet (an Aucklander, now in
London) and by Alex Wulms (from Holland); it's actually based on Rusty
Russell's implementation of crcsync. But it's a tiny effort, and needs
more hands.

The code works, and I am hoping for someone to help us package it (deb
and rpms for example) so that testers find it easier to play with it.
There is a patch for firefox in the works (to support the protocol).

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions
 - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first