[olpc-nz] Testing reading E-Texts

Vik Olliver vik at olliver.family.gen.nz
Wed Jan 6 00:07:39 EST 2010

I tried to download a TXT-format e-book to my OLPC and read it. Here are
the issues encountered downloading the Open Cory Doctorow's e-book
"Makers" from http://craphound.org :

Problem 1: Browser won't save a .TXT file

I got the URL for the file using the Sugar web browser, could not
download a TXT file (clicking on the link opened it, no "save link"
option, saving the page only saved a bookmark) so I copied the URL and
used terminal/wget to download the TXT file.

Problem 2: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Copy_to_and_from_the_Journal
outdated

I fetched it into /tmp and then read the above  guide. It's wrong. There
is no copy-to-journal.py present - it's copy-to-journal. Also there is
no -g option, so you have to know the MIME type of the file. This is
probably beyond the average user.

So, I used

copy-to-journal -m "text/plain" -t "Makers" -d "Cory Doctorow E-Book"
Cory_Doctorow_-_Makers.txt

Problem 3: MIME type "text/plain" not recognised by Sugar/ReadETexts
Activity or Reader/Write Activity.

So I deleted the dud entry from the Journal, and resubmitted the file
with "plain/text". Then I could use the Journal's little arrow on the
right to view the entry, and hover on the top-right icon to reassign
this to the ReadETexts Activity.

All done on Sugar 802 with an XO 1.0

Now I can settle back for a good read...

Vik :v)