[olpc-nz] 1.5 Laptops for contributors - coordinate a request for NZ groups?

Neil Graham Lerc at screamingduck.com
Sat Feb 27 13:25:25 EST 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 16:56 +1300, Tim McNamara wrote:

> I just thought I would send a message out to see who in NZ is making
> requests for free laptops as offered recently by OLPC. I thought we
> should make a single request.

I'd certainly be interested if it didn't involve a lot of bureaucracy,
I'd also be happy to pay the cost of the unit if it would significantly
reduce any bureaucracy.

I'm hoping I'm doing enough to warrant a look.

Things I have in the works.

UDE http://screamingduck.com/ude/?ScreenShots

Whio, a very easy to get going Pascal Library
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMtleAzJ3AE

Plops,  A desktop Widget Engine Lighteweight enough to use on the XO-1,
Made to be part of UDE.
http://code.google.com/p/plops/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QJ9fTYZuwk

http://code.google.com/p/thefbi/
A broswer Plugin that could potrentially act as a replacement for some
of the niches that flash occupies.   Totally Open.  Lets x86 code run
inside a sandbox within WebPages.  Currently a bit slow on an XO-1,
plenty of low hanging fruit still.  Hoping to make it easy for people to
run their own written programs in-broswer.

I'm also looking at extreme level image compression (working on the
principle that a fuzzy 1k image is better than no-image), I would like
to have a go at compressing an image of the world (nasa BlueMarble
maybe) into 2 meg as a standard reference file.  At 1k per 256x256 block
that could be a 64x32
cell image which is 16384x8192
Examples using a JavaScript Decompresser
http://people.sugarlabs.org/~lerc/

The canvas usage needs a fairly recent browser, Firefox 3.5+
(There is a slight difference in rendering between Safari,Chrome and
FireFox,  the code is currently configured to look best in FireFox.)