[olpc-nz] Today's/Tonight's QA Phone Call Conclusions & Unofficial Minutes

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Fri Feb 26 04:27:03 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 07:56 +1300, Tim McNamara wrote:

>                         I would love there to be one webpage for test
>                         requests that has some
>                         visual indicator of how many people testing it
>                         and how close to
>                         finished testing it is, with a big tick next
>                         to it when it has been
>                         tested thoroughly.
>                 Yes, that sounds very good indeed. I guess we do not
>                 have any
>                 infrastructure for the working scenario you describe
>                 (yet)?
>

>         Not that I know of - though I'd love this as well. I'm setting
>         up a Semantic MediaWiki test case system similar to the one we
>         had at OLPC, just to have something to get started on. No firm
>         date on when that's going to be completed, though I'm going to
>         be tackling getting that infrastructure up this coming
>         Friday.
>

> I'm against bespoke development in this area, unless the alternatives
> are untenable. I would prefer if we evaluate some of the current UAT
> testing tools - if they're unsuitable for our needs, then building
> something ourselves makes sense.

Something as "simple" as a tracker would work. If you want something
tested, raise a ticket. Developers can look at the ticket to see what
the status of your test request is. Testers can look at the list of open
tickets to see what is ready for testing. Every request has a date and a
log of what has been done. This is how the test groups work in the
software development houses I've worked with.

Do we use the olpc tracker or the sugarlabs tracker? Starting another
one seems like a bad idea.