[olpc-nz] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 18 December 2010

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Tue Dec 21 22:29:04 EST 2010

On 18 December 2010 12:52, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at tabitha.net.nz> wrote:
> Who: Fabiana, Nevyn, Robin, Tabitha, Tom
>
> Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 18 December 2010
>
> --%<-- snip --%<--
>
> XO-1.5 tests on 367 OLPC-AU, 0.84.16
> Image follows the same naming conventions as the olpc builds, I got very
> confused about which builds I needed to copy from my desktop to my laptop
> before leaving for testing. Could the image files be called osXXXau.zd? That
> would reduce my confusion a lot.

We now call them auxxx.zd (replacing the 'os' part). This keeps the
filename lengths short (OFW doesn't like filenames >8 chars).

> Has both Wikipedia (spanish, some pictures) and WikipediaEN (english, no
> pictures). If you attempt to start both at the same time, the second will
> fail with an error binding the server port. Should they run on different
> ports? WikipediaEN seemed very very slow, slower than I remember the old
> Wikipedia on the sugar 82 builds on XO-1. The slowness was made worse by a
> lack of feedback, when you click a link, nothing appears to happen except
> the "finger" pointer remains even when not over a link, eventually the
> reload button becomes a stop button which is the only clue anything is
> happening.

I think this was a bug inherited from OLPC. We don't need Spanish in AU builds.

I've made an issue for this: https://dev.laptop.org.au/issues/244

> Installed Image Thumbnail 7 on os367 OLPC-AU. It took a very long time to
> start and I thought it had crashed. It seemed to load all the files from the
> browser cache and the help. Was this intended? If this is supposed to be a
> picture viewer, including the browser cache will make it difficult to find
> your own pictures. Could the show file button be removed and the picture
> shown whenever you click on it?

Image Thumbnail searches several places on the disc. The Journal gets
its own tab, so children should still be able to find their stuff. It
also finds images on the filesystem, including in the Firefox/Browse
cache. This is by design, as it allows users to see everything they've
looked at regardless of how they looked at it. For example, a child
can still find their image even if they were using it in GNOME (i.e.
outside of the Journal).

More info: https://dev.laptop.org.au/projects/image-thumbnail/wiki

The slowness to start has been recorded as a bug:
https://dev.laptop.org.au/issues/133

Thanks for your feedback!

Sridhar