[olpc-nz] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 28 August 2010

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sat Aug 28 03:05:35 EDT 2010

Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 28 August 2010

Who: Tabitha, Leslie, Robin, Tom, Tracey

Testing os851 on XO-1.0s and XO-1.5s

Maze on XO-1.0 and XO-1.5 - make more distinction between path and
background. Maybe have brick walls or hedge look instead of black, a more
real barrier. Culturally this might fit better too, as white and black may
have different interpretation for go and stop. Look at optical illusions to
see why this might be causing this problem -
http://www.braingle.com/brainteasers/teaser.php?id=26474;op=0;comm=1

Web activity / picture viewer on XO-1.0 - refused to stop. second instance
of picture viewer with the same image behaved as it should
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2250

Found an interesting KeyError exception in shell.log
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2248

Power saving on XO-1.5 - causes a long delay in restarting - can there be
some indication to the child that it is in power save mode (say, a screen
message which appears as power save mode is enabled) and will take time to
respond when woken? Laptop behaves "better" with power saving turned off,
but it's hard to compare when you don't know how much power you could be
saving. How much power does power saving save? Can you adjust the idle time
required to enter power saving mode? For an ebook scenario, it might be too
long, but for many others, it feels too quick.

Tamtam Mini - all good.

Tamtam Jam - music stops when power save starts. That is not a long time so
if you are listening to your masterpiece you need to keep moving the
touchpad. Could there be a way to say don't save power when music is being
played?

Tamtam Edit - all good.

Labyrinth on XO-1.5 - intensely frustrating to use for someone who users
another mindmap programme every day (mind manager). Could be due to use of
another programme which is keyboard driven not based on use of the touchpad.
A simpler set of controls may be: enter to create a new node, delete to
remove a node, insert to edit a node as a child of the current node and
cursor keys to move between the existing nodes.

Record on XO-1.5 - worked on own. Could not test collaboration due to no
networks appearing in the neighbourhood view.

Does this build default to Journal view after you close activities? Instead
of Home view?

On XO-1.5 the frame does not show any "create wireless" or any information
about wireless. There is no wifi information in the neighbourhood view.
In the settings under network - wireless instructions are ambiguous.  does
the check box turn the radio on or off? the text above implies it will
periodically turn the radio off to save power.

Turtleart on XO-1.0 - made some shapes and changed colours. Learned how to
make petals for flowers today. :-)

Words activity on XO-1.5 - Leslie looked at German translation, found some
issues with form, she will make a list for correction.

We had one of our XO-1.5s crash twice with os851, it just froze, ctrl-alt-f1
and ctrl-alt-erase didn't work. The first time was right after first bootup,
after i set the name and colour, I left it idle on the home view. When I
came to use it, it woudn't respond, after restarting I had to give it a name
and colour again. This XO later refused to boot, with a kernel panic finding
the root filesystem. We installed os373pyg and got the same kernel panic on
the second boot, so wonder if this a hardware problem. Will investigate
further.

Feedback for Autistic children - when playing the GCompris games the kids
freaked out over the smiley clown, but the flower was very well received,
can we change to flowers and no scary clown?
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_fdbwZ2mqG1Q/THhYHSqk83I/AAAAAAAABCc/KCChWCEOFUE/s640/IMG_20100828_122435.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fdbwZ2mqG1Q/THhYSJSve_I/AAAAAAAABCg/ndPyPUMo_NM/s640/IMG_20100828_122649.jpg

Examined a virtualbox sugar on a stick installation which didn't save
anything across virtualbox restarts. This was installed by a first time
virtualbox user, so was impressed that they got that far, but saddened that
it didn't work properly for them. It would seem that the instructions for
mac aren't insanely great.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Downloads has an apple which leads to
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Installation#with_Apple_Macintoshwhich
suggests you go
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Mac which promises several
confusing options, of which you want
Click Sugar. Click Mac which promises everything and sends you to
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/VirtualBox#on_OS_X which provides a lot of
Virtualbox information, and gives you two options
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:VirtualBox#Virtualbox_Appliance_of_SoaS_Mirabellewhich
is scary development version
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/VirtualBox/Preparing_a_disk_image which made my
head explode

We will test the development virtualbox appliance
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:VirtualBox#Virtualbox_Appliance_of_SoaS_Mirabellenext
week.

We set up two XO-1.5s with os373pyg for a demo next week and discovered that
the stop button in physics has fallen off the menu and into a little drop
down, see http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2251 We also tried to send a
physics creation from one os373pyg to another using the send to friend
feature, but it didn't work, the invitation to receive appeared and we
accepted, but the creation never arrived. Copied it to a USB and it loaded
into the journal fine but we couldn't open it with physics or anything :(
Will investigate this more later and write proper bug reports with logs and
suchlike (probably next week).

We gave a sugar on a stick to a computer savvy 9 year old, he was very
impressed by scratch on the XO.