[olpc-nz] This Weekend's olpc/sugar Testing

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Thu Aug 19 07:21:16 EDT 2010

Hi NZ volunteers

Lots of things are happening in the sugar community right now, which means
lots of things to test.

Below this email (sort of attached) is a request to test Sugar release 0.90
in Fedora 14 on Sugar on a Stick.

os851 aka 10.1.2 is a new signed build for XO 1 and 1.5 from olpc based on
Fedora 11 and Sugar 0.84 - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/10.1.2

os373pyg aka Dextrose is the latest "Paraguay build" for XO 1 and 1.5 from
Bernie, Sugar Labs and several South American deployments based on Fedora 11
and Sugar 0.88. They're calling this one a Release Candidate and hope we
don't find any more significant bugs - http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Dextrose

For those that can come to the Windsor, 144 Parnell Road, Auckland, you can
hear first hand about our experience volunteering in Samoa at two
deployments and setting up their server and access points.  For everyone
else, we will release the report shortly and give you access to photos.

If you want to look at the bugs we discovered during the Samoa deployment
(we gave them os300py which you can get from
http://download.sugarlabs.org/dextrose/testing/f11-0.88/xo1/py/ -- they have
made two more releases since, but they were too late for us in Samoa), here
are the tickets we have raised so far (not raised all the tickets yet):

   - http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2149<http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2186>
   - http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2186
   - http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2185
   - http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2184
   - http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2183
   - http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2182

If you want to create something useful for Samoa, they need ideas on how to
integrate the laptops as learning tools into the curriculum. The core
subjects are: Samoan, English, Mathematics, Basic Science and Social
Science. The students are year 4 to 6.

This page has a template for learning activities:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Constructionist_learning_activity
This page has an activity template:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_template

I think we need to work out a better way to store lesson plans so that a
teacher (or more likely a volunteer) can go to the sample lessons repository
and easily print a set of lesson samples by selecting criteria like age
range and curriculum area. This would have been very useful to us in Samoa
so likely it would help other deployments start seeing how the laptop can
become a learning tool in the classroom instead of a curriculum area of its
own to be studied separately to the other subjects.

Thanks volunteers
Tabitha