[olpc-nz] [IAEP] [support-gang] which Sugar(s) will/should run on XO's? [was: Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 94]

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 10:25:18 EDT 2009

It's hard for me to understand why we are dropping so fast support for
the XO-1.

It is not logical, does not make sense to drop the biggest user base
Sugar has, except when we account for human feelings of pain and
betrayal that accompany the lore involving OLPC and such.

While Sugar, as-is, is painfully slow and flaky on the XO, it is still
the very best we have, and while we could get away from it and proclaim
"mission accomplished", well, that didn't work for that other guy, did it?

IMHO, yes, at some moment it's "vamoose" and so on, but that should not
come any earlier than when we have another, bigger thing going in terms
of user base.

I understand what you say, Tomeu, and I am grateful for it.  I'm just
afraid that, as tight as we are now, that individual would have to come
from the outside, and spend a loooot of time gaining credibility, and so
on, before getting to a level of effectiveness that would get the job done.

Yama

<snip>