[olpc-nz] first play with new XO 1.5 machines

Tabitha Roder tabitha at hrdnz.com
Tue Oct 20 02:04:15 EDT 2009

Testing 5 of the new XO 1.5 machines - our first experiences...

hardware seems more responsive

great touch pad - can feel edges and has tap click on touch pad so you
dont have to push the button, we like it

video card issues  with on screen animations - e.g. frame gives flickers
on boot the display is a mass of colours - some kind of video driver fault

many keys only work intermittently on some of these XOs. particularly
- frame key and the key next to it, search key, function key, hand
keys, divide/multiply key.

no mesh network showing in neighbourhood, could connect to our home
wifi and browse internet, intermittently can see other XOs here (once
we took out jabber.sugarlabs.org from network settings in my settings)

the new record activity has no camera, only audio!

camera issues...  video for linux working but doesnt like what it
finds, a driver issue? doesnt know about the camera? tried looking for
it, lspci, lshal, lsmod, no luck

question - why is there a /media/boot in the frame next to the battery
indicator and volume indicator,
we took it apart and found there was a 4GB micro SD card for
nonvolatile storage and think 8GB SD RAM? so upgradeable?

more testing to come, will keep everyone informed

Tabitha