[olpc-nz] Fwd: Foodforce2 Activity

Tabitha Roder tabitha at hrdnz.com
Sun Oct 4 16:34:39 EDT 2009

test request for this week - foodforce2
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/search?q=foodforce&cat=all

Beta for Debian, Windows and XOs:
http://code.google.com/p/foodforce/downloads/list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>
Date: 2009/10/5
Subject: Re: Foodforce2 Activity
To: Deepank Gupta <deepankgupta at gmail.com>
Cc: Mohit Taneja <mohitgenii at gmail.com>, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at hrdnz.com>

Congratulations.  2100 is starting to look pretty good.  Over all,
traffic on activities.sugarlabs.org in increasing by about 25% per
months.  Not a bad growth rate....

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Deepank Gupta <deepankgupta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
> It has been quite some time from the beta release of Foodforce2 done in
> August this year. It is mildly successful at Activites page of Sugar labs
> with close to 2100 weekly downloads. We are planning on releasing a final
> version of Foodforce2 on November 15th with some new features and lot of bug
> fixes and reliability improvements to the activity.

Very nice.

> I will like to know about the process through which an activity is
> classified as part of Fructose Package or is shipped along with an XO. Are
> there certain metrics defined by the community in terms of quality and/or
> relevance of an activity which classify it to be as part of Fructose
> package.

What ships with the xo is and OLPC decision.  The next thing would be
to lobby the SoaS team to include FoodForce2 on the upcoming SoaS
release.

> Also is there a process through which an activity can come in the
> Recommended list of activities in the Activities page.

We have nothing formal yet.  Will you do any beta releases?  I'll add
FoodForce to the recommended list.

> What all steps will you recommend for the activity to be made more visible
> and lead to an even better response from the community.

At this point the biggest visibility grabber is a steady stream of
updates and bug fixed to activities.sugarlabs.org.  Whenever
activities.sugarlabs.org is updated a notice is sent to iaep and dev.
This stream of fixes is very reassuring to testers that the develop
side is fixing what they report.

Another great step would be to contact the testers though Tabitha
Roder <tabitha at hrdnz.com> .
They do a great job identified good bugs.

Yet, another step would be to set up a official test day like the soas
did a couple of days ago.

Hope that helps
david