[olpc-nz] Fwd: [Sugar-devel] ANN: rainbow-0.8.5 release.

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 05:05:06 EST 2009

Hi NZers, BAers, Ghent'ers, all!

Michael Stone has been putting a lot of work into improving Rainbow,
the security isolation tool that we had in our OSs.

He is very keen on OLPC including this into the builds, but we don't
know whether it works, what rough edges it has, in short, how mature
it is, and how much work it'll take to include it.

Michael is hoping to see more feedback from testers (and OLPC is
hoping the same, as we're flat out finishing F11/XO-1.5...).

How to test? I'd suggest a start would be:

- Grab 2 XOs with the same F11 build (XO-1s with OS8 or the promised
OS10 will do).

- On one, install Rainbow as per the instructions
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Rainbow/Installation_Instructions - grab the
latest source, as it's new from 2 days ago...

- Go through a smoketest with both, log the differences -- does
anything break in the Rainbow'd machine?

- Pester Michael with questions, congratulations, bugreports, etc...

Be kind, Michael is doing this on his own time, because he cares about
OLPC shipping with a good isolation tool.

cheers,