[olpc-nz] OLPC at the UX Barcamp

Rebecca Ray honorary.kiwi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 20:37:58 EST 2009

Hey guys-
Just wanted to give ya a heads up on the demo I gave at the barcamp that I'd
mentioned... ummm when was the last time I was able to make it to testing?
Yeah, that day. (I miss you guys!)
The conference was focussed on user experience, so I tried to focus mainly
on the differences between the XOs/ Sugar and what we're used to- yet
bringing to light how appropriate that design is for their specific usage.
Had a LOT of interest- quite a few people from Education areas there. We
might even see a few new faces on Saturday mornings (Tabitha, Alastair...
who ever's in charge of the list, you might be getting a couple requests
=)).
Did about a 30 minute demo, and then pretty much lost my afternoon tea break
with more people interested and playing with them (had Tim's collection as
well). Challenged about 3 or 4 people to have a race to see who could open
one first, good fun ;).
Anyway, in short: showed User Experience/ Usability professionals XO
laptops. Said people loved them, found it very interesting from a design
aspect (thinking in terms of children, third world, no exposure to
technology, etc). Might have recruited Saturday morning people.
Will see you all next week (I think!)

-Bex