[olpc-nz] Fwd: 8.2.1 Release Status - Thursday, Jan. 29, 2008

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 18:52:58 EST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org>
Date: Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:28 AM
Subject: 8.2.1 Release Status - Thursday, Jan. 29, 2008
To: devel at lists.laptop.org, sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org,
testing at lists.laptop.org

Folks,

I just thought I'd offer some unofficial advice on the state of 8.2.1 for
interested listeners:

  a) In the last several weeks, there has been significant package churn at all
     levels of the stack including:

       kernel bootanim bootfw olpc-utils libX11 xkeyboard-config sugar-journal
       glibc glibc-common

     as described in more detail by

       http://dev.laptop.org/~bert/staging-pkgs.html and
       http://dev.laptop.org/~rwh/announcer/staging-pkgs.html

     As a result, we're bottle-necked on QA.

  b) Some dedicated volunteers -- notably S Page, dsd, TJB, kimquirk, Hal
     Murray, genesee, tiesj, greebo, Mikus, John Ferlito, and ivazquez (thanks
     all!) -- have done some fine work getting us unstuck on QA!

     In particular, their volunteer wifi testing turned up #9222 which dsd
     thinks he fixed this morning from Paraguay! However, I think that there
     might be more wireless regressions -- please keep trying to break things
     with recent staging builds!

  c) Mitch has worked long and hard on #9045, which was one of the tickets
     motivating this release!

     Today, he delivered a new firmware, q2e30, which you should all help
     test.  It's available in staging >= 25 and it needs both serious
     regression testing, e.g.

        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/1_hour_smoke_test

     and some dedicated feature testing according to the test plan laid out by
     Mitch here:

        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Firmware_security#Multiple-Key_Support

     (I had so much fun making my own keys last night that I stayed up after an
     evening out on the town with Henry & friends to help Mitch test this!)

  d) Somebody needs to provide appropriate activities for our smoke tests
     (preferably via customization stick) and to make sure that those
     activities are properly listed on the usual laptop.org wiki pages. Help
     wanted!

     Wade -- is this something that your new activity team would like to help
     with?

  e) In conclusion, 8.2.1 seems to me to have been put back on track by the
     unrivaled commitment of you, our dedicated Friends in Testing. Thanks!

Regards,

Michael

(P.S. - Thanks also to Chris for keeping things rolling by wrangling builds and
tickets at all hours of the day.) :)

(P.P.S. - If you're looking for something to test this week, please try out my
refreshed

 http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Friends_in_testing

instructions!)