[olpc-nz] 8.2.2 Beta-1 test request

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Dec 5 18:16:42 EST 2009

Hi Martin,

On 4 Dec 2009, at 12:34, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> Note! We are also testing the XO-1.5 builds, and hoping to make a
> release Real Soon Now. If you have XO-1.5 hardware, help us test the
> 1.5 builds. On the other hand, if you have XO-1s to test, I need help
> with...
>
> The build is '802B1' -- find it at:
>
>    http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/8.2.2-betas/
>
> Filing bugs -- the bugs related to this release are tagged with
> milestone '8.2.2'. Please set that milestone in any new bug you file,
> or add your notes to the existing bugs:
> http://dev.laptop.org/query?status=assigned&status=closed&status=new&status=reopened&order=status&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=component&milestone=8.2.2
>
> What's new?
>
> =Touchpad=
>
> The build has a rebuilt kernel with new touchpad drivers, and some
> configuration tweaks. This is for both old 'ALPS' touchpads and new
> 'Synaptics' touchpads. (Do mention which one you have!)

XO-1 with ALPC touchpad.

> With these changes, the touchpads should move a little bit slower,
> have a bit more precision, and be a lot less 'jumpy'. In fact, when
> they data gets jumpy, the driver ignores the data instead of jumping
> wildly.
>
> Is the kangaroo mode gone? Is it more usable now? Are other effects creeping in?

Still noticing loss of calibration during normal use. Mouse movement scaling seems _much_ higher than build 802 or F11-XO-1 build 8.

> Comparison test drawing spirals:
>
> - Grab 2 XOs with the same touchpad type, load the old stable 802 on
> one, and my test build (802B1) on the other. If you only have one XO,
> try one OS after the other...
>
> - Open Paint and draw spirals
>
>    1) try to keep it reasonably tight
>    2) stop if you collide or get sloppy
>    3) count the number of cycles
>    4) try again N times
>    5) use the average cycles as a measure
>
> Related
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9775
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9773

I skipped about the versions to try and avoid influence of practice.

- 802 results: 6, 5, 7, 8, 13, 16 == 9.2 mean (at least 1 clear/large cursor jump drawing line across screen)

- 0.84.2 (F11-on-XO build 8) results: 11, 15, 15, 13, 13, 11 == 13.0 mean

Mouse acceleration is much faster than above tests (perhaps x2) so hard to keep tight spirals and generate comparable measurements, but here's what I managed:

- 802B1 results, Paint 23: 6, 11, 12, 9, 5, 7, 13, 16, 13 == 10.2 mean

- 802B1 results, Paint 27: 9, 13, 9, 10, 15, 18 == 12.3 mean

> = Kernel =
>
> The kernel rebuild may have caused other issues. Any problems with
> suspend/resume, wireless, freezes, I want to hear about them.

Automatic power management off by default, was this the same for the original 802? I know it's on by default for the F11-on-XO build 8). Also Jabberserver is blank by default, can't remember if this was also blank for the original 802.

> = Wireless: Associating to Access Points and debugging =
>
> Fixed a bug where NetworkManager would -- in a % of connections -- not
> realise that the process had succeeded. Side by side, 802B1 should
> connect successfully to an AP more often.
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8104

FWIW, basic WEP testing here seems fine, same as before.

> And now if you `touch /etc/NetworkManager/log-supplicant` and restart.
> That same file is used as the logfile by wpa_supplicant.
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9715
>
> = Startup / shutdown =
>
> Two bugs related to the shutdown process have been fixed. Rebooting
> side-by-side, you should see 802B1 shutdown much faster, and never
> hang in the switch to the "ul-warning" screen.
>
> If it ever hangs in the shutdown process, let me know...
>
> = Talk to the XS =
>
> Sugar now connects to gabble immediately after registration, no need
> for a reboot - If you have an XS handy (hint: get the XS-on-XO image
> on an SD card!), you can confirm this enhancement.
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9726 -
>
> You can run 'olpc-connections' in a terminal to see it switch from one
> to the other right away.
>
> = OS version =
>
> The Sugar Control Panel should report the right version in 'About my
> XO'. And the 'Update' control panel must check for new activities by
> hitting a url ending in /8.2.2 (you might need a packet capture for
> that, or point it to a server you manage, just to see the 404s...).
>
> = Update your Activities? =
>
> The "you must update your activities" dialog on first boot is gone! It
> will only appear after a major upgrade (not a minor one).
>
> To test this, you can: install an older release (756 for example) and
> then use olpc-update --usb to upgrade to 802B1.

Bundled activities that are out of date according to OLPC wiki (41.8Mb worth):

Distance-14 --> 17
Measure-24 --> 27
Moon-10 --> 11
Paint-23 --> 27
Pippy-30 --> 35
Record-59 --> 64
Speak-9 --> 11
TamTamEdit-50 --> 51
TamTamJam-51 --> 52
TamTamMini-49 --> 51
TamTamSynthLab-51 --> 52
TurtleArt-10 --> 70 (!!)

Additional activity upgrades recommend by activities.sugarlabs.org:

Measure-27 --> 29
TurtleArt-70 --> 80 (!!!)
Log-16 --> 18
Terminal-18 --> 30
Etoys-94 --> 99
Colors-13 --> 15
Memorize-33 --> 34
Read-56 --> 78
Ruler-3 --> 6 (but can't download from ALSO, Walter can you check the .xo uploaded correctly?)
TuxPaint-2 --> 3
Chat-48 --> 66
Implode-5 --> 9 (it didn't want to auto upgrade, had to click v9 bundle in Journal to install)
Calculate-25 --> 30 (it didn't want to auto upgrade, had to click v30 bundle in Journal to install)

> = Do the activities work? =
>
> Try out the activities included. Did I break the OS so that any
> activities are failing?

- Measure-14, 17 and 29 all still raise a "keep error" when trying to stop the activity

- Record-64 looses live preview image after first photo, 2nd photo will lock-up up activity. Fiddling with the tabs can recover from the lost preview and stop the 2nd photo lock-up but frame rate badly drops as if it is doing twice the work (Record-59 works fine)

- Speak-11 clicking the Robot toolbar tab starts the wait cursor and then lockups the XO requiring a reboot (Speak-9 doesn't have that feature)

- Wikipedia activity is in Spanish (a feature given the target deployment I think, but just wanted to note it)

- Write is drawing an over-score line over all typed text

- TuxPaint-3 fails to launch under 0.82B1 (de-list this huge resource hog of an activity on ALSO if also fails with plain 0.82). It also does not 'upgrade' TuxPaint-2 so you end up with two massive installs (not to mention it still does not support the Journal, or any Sugar standard keys).

Regards,
--Gary