[OLPC-NYC] Sugar Font Editor Activity as Google Summer of Code + Next NYC Meetup?

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Thu Mar 24 14:26:58 EDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 24 March 2016 at 09:43, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>> I would also be very happy to organize an informal Sugar meet up at the
>>> Google office in Chelsea if anyone would be interested in that :)
>>
>> Thanks Dave: ironically we meet in NYC every couple months,
>>
> Oh! Great! Where on the web should I look for information about past
> events? :)

We don't use mailing lists as much as in the past, nor post publicly every
step of the way, but weekly minutes are here:

    http://tinyurl.com/xsceminutes

We typically meet in Manhattan or Staten Island, when enough of our OLPC /
Sugar / Internet-in-a-Box community is in town.

typically to work on (1) the evolution of OLPC's school server into a wider
>> platform (http://schoolserver.org now generally includes
>> http://Internet-in-a-Box.org from CalTech/JPL, etc) and we also work
>> hard (2) getting implementation right in a growing number of Haiti schools
>> (many seen @ http://olpcMAP.net).
>>
> Awesome! Are any NYC schools using Sugar?

Unclear, but there are many in Haiti just ~3 hours away, that we support.

> Regrettably however a few of us are away from NYC early spring 2016, so
>> perhaps later this spring better for a meetup?
>>
> I'll be here :D

Cool, keep in touch later spring.  Many of us are on channel #schoolserver
at http://webchat.freenode.net if that helps.

> In any case, Thanks for leading the charge, kicking off new conversations,
>> etc :)
>>
> :) I was a G1G1 customer although I never contributed more materially, and
> haven't been paying attention since the XP annonucement...

Or non-announcement, perhaps more accurately?  Nothing came out of that
announcement beyond the drama, beyond a few demo units in South America --
after much gesticulation that the sky was falling.  Some argue very
hauntingly, that the FOSS community has self-destructive political
instincts at times, and was literally putty in the hands of Microsoft's
FUD: certainly tearing out much hair gesticulating that the end was nigh --
over a press release that amounted to nothing in the end.

Hopefully we can all be somewhat more maturely grounded to reality if
there's a next time, when Google / Apple / Facebook /
<evildoer-of-the-moment> enters into the next corporate/humanitarian
alliance raising tensions alongside noble goals ;-)

--

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !