[OLPC-NYC] OLPC NYC/Bronx Brunch - TOPIC: East/West Africa - Sun July 25

Marife Mago marife.mago at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 12:07:10 EDT 2010

Thanks Adam!

We should definitely take advantage of the weather.  There are some
suggestion on a plan for a regular meet up for OLPC-NYC group.  In which we
can schedule it either the last Saturday or last Sunday of the month,
whichever is feasible to everyone.

Here are some of the activities for the meet up that I've gathered so far.

1.  Meet up session for old and new OLPC_NYC members "XO for Dummies" (using
the xo, sugar activities, trouble shooting)

2.  XO activity development 'XO Hackathon' for programmers who would want to
meet and colllaborate with existing new sugar development or new sugar
activity.  (e.g George Hunt's Xophoto activity etc...) or it can be a how to
start developing acitivities in XO.

3.  SoaS (Sugar on Stick 101) and activity session

4.  Deployment gathering and sharing session

5. etc...

Suggestion for activities and venues are welcome.  Interested to facilitate
above activities? Plz email us.

Feel free to visit our wiki page for upcoming events.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC-NYC

Our facebook group: One Laptop per Child - NYC
*http://www.facebook.com/pages/One-Laptop-Per-Child-NYC/131242860240611<http://tinyurl.com/2b8hrya>
*
**
Our twitter updates: @olpcnyc, #olpcnyc

Thanks and hope to see everyone in our upcoming events.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

>  Marife Mago wrote:
>
> can we include here our initial meet-up can be earlier before brunch or
> after brunch?
>

> Yes, let's meet afterwards 2PM or soon after, for those serious about
> driving forward partic projects.
>
> I'm quite happy to improvise walking to a nearby park/cafe/oceanfront etc
> at that time -- Soundview Park is just a few min to the South, or we can
> follow others' suggestions...
>

>  On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>> Why:
>>
>>    OLPC/Sugar community volunteers working in East Africa (Uganda,
>>    Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, etc) updating each/others working in West
>>    Africa (Ghana, Togo, Benin, Burkina Faso, etc) on their progress.
>>
>>    The restaurant is a few blocks away from where the famous incident
>>    of Guinean immigrant Amadou Diallo occurred.  The restaurant building
>>    is connected to the NYS Assemblyman Diaz clinic named after Diallo.
>>
>>    We might even allow discussion of Sao Tome & Principe from
>>    http://bethstepsup.blogspot.com since Beth is in fact flying thru
>>    NYC on her way back from Africa, exactly then :)

>>    12 NOON
>>    Sunday July 25th
>>
>> Location:
>>
>>    Fouta Food Corp Restaurant
>>    1762 Westchester Ave (Subway #6 Uptown Bronx St. Lawrence station)
>>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_%28New_York_City_Subway_service%29
>>    Between Commonwealth & St Lawrence Aves.
>>    Bronx NY 10472
>>
>>    Tel: 718 792 1700
>>    Owner / Manager: Amadou
>>
>> Menu:
>>
>>    We've spoken to Amadou and he intends to provide West African's best.
>>    The menu is very affordable.  He'll be glad to know what would be
>>    your favorite dishes, wishing the very best for our team!
>>
>> Please forward as appropriate, joining our open-community conversation:

>>    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_NYC
>>    http://twitter.com/olpcnyc
>>
>> 1729 and Present Day Maps:
>>

> [ http://www.waado.org/cgi-bin/Historical/MapOfWestAfrica_1729.jpg ]