[Olpc-kh] Status Khmer support for XOs

Philipp Kocher philipp.kocher at gmx.net
Thu Jul 16 20:43:34 EDT 2009

Hello

Last month a shipment of 1000 XOs arrived in Cambodia and got
distributed to various organizations.
These are the first XOs with a combined Khmer/English keyboard. However,
the installed software is old and doesn't support Khmer (even so the XOs
have a Khmer keyboard it is not possible to type in Khmer without
updating the software!).

At the moment the PAN Localization team is localizing the XO software.
The Khmer keyboard is already working, but the translations of all the
texts to Khmer are not complete yet.

I am working on a procedure to install the latest XO software including
Khmer support on an XO. I try to make the installation as easy as
possible, but still a person with good computer skills will be needed to
install the software properly.
It will be possible to install the software on older XOs without Khmer
keyboard as well, but typing Khmer might be difficult without the
characters on the keys.

I will send updates about the "Khmer support for XOs" just to the
olpc-kh mailing list. To get the information interested people should
subscribe to the mailing list (Details about the olpc-kh mailing list
see below).

Best regards,
Philipp

Details about the olpc-kh mailing list:
a member is sending an email to this address, all the other members will
get the email. The emails will be stored in an archive as well and are
accessible for everyone with Internet access (the archive is here:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-kh/).

To become a member you just have to subscribe on this website
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/olpc-kh (enter your email address and
press the subscribe button in the subscribe section).

We would like to discuss all kind of topics related to the XO projects
(like organize workshops, XO problems, successful projects,
localization) on this mailing list.