[OLPC-Jamaica] Edubuntu - Sugar - OLPC training prototype project

Rohan Smith rohanasmith at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 17:05:21 EDT 2008

Ok, seeing that Sameer is leaving soon, and there is an initial rave for
OLPC now, I think we should take advantage of these fleeting days.
Here's the plan, we already have a set of thin-clients with edubuntu on the
server. The plan is, we, the technical guys can sort out a prototype lab,
all but one of the computers(the server, which can be negotiated) is ready
to give away to a school. We will upgrade the system and install the Sugar
Environment to create our Technologically Aided Learning Environment [TALE]
(c)(TM).

Now for those who have the planning, people and organisation skills, you can
sort out which school, when and how we can take this lab into the our
communities(This is a call for volunteers).
Thereafter we can implement a sustainable strategy to allow the students to
learn how to use the systems and integrate it in the teacher's teaching
plan.

If we cannot get a simple free eqiptment project like this one rolling, I
see it very hard gathering success in any OLPC efforts. Besides this can be
the proporter for the OLPC initiative. There is huge press coverage when 2
computers are donated to a school from those big companies with just Windows
XP installed. Imagine what we could get if we were installing a zero
maintainance, virus free, 8 computer, enegy saving, small total cost of
ownership, educational platform with hundreds of learning tools. lets call
in CNN or BBC - seriously.

REMEMBER!! ITS NOT ABOUT THE COMPUTERS, IT'S ABOUT LEARNING
DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN
EVERY CHILD CAN LEARN, EVERY CHILD MUST!

P.S. I am expecting little or no response from this post - suprise me
       by the way this is not a call to conversation but a call to ACTION!