[OLPC-Jamaica] Give Many program

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Sep 21 13:21:24 EDT 2008

Some people have asked me about being able to buy in quantities of
more than a few laptops. Details of the "Give Many" program are listed
at http://laptopfoundation.org/participate/givemany.shtml Essentially,
there are different price points, but you get to choose the donor
site. From what *I understand*, a portion of your donation is put
towards a pool of laptops that OLPC will then send someplace of their
choice.

So, lets say you want to buy 200 laptops. Using the figure from their
site, at $310 a laptop, you will have to donate $62,000 which will
result in 200 laptops at a location of your choice (say, a
neighborhood school). Internally, at OLPC, the cost is still around
$200, so approx. $110 from each laptop donation is going towards a
pool of laptops that OLPC will ship out to a location of *their*
choice (say, Haiti or Rwanda).

So, $110 x 200 = $22,000, which at $200 a laptop results in 110
laptops. In brief, you get your 200 laptops and you've paid for 110
for kids someplace else.

Again, this is my understanding. Maybe someone from OLPC can shed more
light on this.

cheers,
Sameer
--