[Olpc-indonesia] Anyone still active on OLPC Indonesia?

Dennis N. Raymond dennisnr at comcast.net
Tue Apr 22 16:59:46 EDT 2008

Hello Gede & Dean:

Yes, I am on the OLPC list serve as well, and am happy to hear from you.  I
have been in Bali with an XO laptop since December 2007.  During that time
I've been demonstrating the laptop to various Yayasans and schools.  My
objective has been to foster grassroots support and carry that information
to OLPC for the purposes of seeding the units to appropriate institutions
here in Indonesia.  It's been a valuable experience for me as I've met many
people in the small educational communities that could benefit from the XO
laptop.  During this time I've also seen OLPC change their strategy. From
the website it seems they are only interested in selling the units in lots
of no less than 10,000.  This is a change from previous tactics where units
could be purchased in lots of 300.  Phone calls and emails to the Cambridge
offices of OLPC go unreturned, and it's apparent the enterprise is under
duress as they struggle to find their place in the world.  All the while
Intel's Classmate laptop (with Windows XP) seems to be gaining visibility.
A recent article in the Jakarta Post focused on the Classmate while barely
mentioning OLPC.

About me, I am a 57-year-old technology worker from Seattle, Washington in
the US.  I have been coming to Indonesia for 15 years, the first time under
sponsorship of my city government.  I've been active in a Sister City
Association between Seattle and Surabaya, and have a small US-based
foundation that identifies and supports small projects within Indonesia.  We
are not an NGO and, no, we don't have money.  But we have the energy and
ingenuity to identify communities of need and, I hope, advise OLPC of these
needs.

I'd like to know more about your interests in this program, and explore how
and if we might work together to forward this invaluable project within
Indonesia.  I am here until the end of May, and then return to my home in
Seattle.

Warm regards,

Dennis N. Raymond
 <mailto:dennisnr at comcast.net> dennisnr at comcast.net