[Olpc-Haiti] translation tools for Kreyòl for OLPC/SugarLabs

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Tue Feb 9 11:32:26 EST 2010

Previously I wrote:
> And a useful link to Kreyòl translation data (parallel texts &
> terminology glossaries) provided by CMU:
>
> http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/haitian/text/
>
> While Microsoft has already released a machine-translation service
> based on that (and other) data:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/translation/archive/2010/01/24/announcement-haitian-creole-support-in-bing-translator-and-other-microsoft-translator-powered-services.aspx
>
> it is very unlikely to be useful for quality translations.  However,
> the glossaries can be helpful as an aid to manual translation.

The open-source stand-alone translation tool Virtaal (developed by the
same team as the Pootle on-line translation system used by OLPC /
SugarLabs) now has support to use the Microsoft Translation service - see

http://translate.org.za/blogs/dwayne/en/content/virtaal-supports-haitian-creole-through-machine-translation-plugin

There is no support for this in Pootle yet, but you can download the PO
files from Pootle, perform translation in Virtaal, and then upload the
PO files back.  (This is most useful for someone who will be the only
translator working on a particular project file, and will be translating
a fairly large number of entries.)

The quality of the Microsoft translation service doesn't appear to be
too bad; the example in the screenshot shows:

With this file you can learn about translation using Virtaal

translated into Kreyòl as:

Ak dokiman sa nou kapab aprann de traduction yo ki t'itilize Virtaal

Without really knowing any Kreyòl this certainly has some errors
(shouldn't it be "traduksyon"?) and probably a bunch more at grammatical
levels that I can't see, but this certainly gives you a starting point,
and for some translators this could be helpful.

Something that those of us who don't have Kreyòl fluency could do to
help in this context might be to see if it is possible to port Virtaal
as an XO bundle that could run under Sugar (porting it entirely to the
Sugar user interface, might be too much effort, although possible, since
it is written in Python and has Fedora RPMs).  This could allow people
with XOs to work on translations and see the results immediately
(Virtaal is able to edit not just PO files, but also the .mo files that
are actually used in the system).

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com