[Olpc-Haiti] professional translation resources for OLPC/SugarLabs

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Thu Feb 4 15:13:44 EST 2010

Michel DeGraff writes:

> Hopefully the current language administrators are certifiably competent
> professional translators who are duly remunerated for their much needed
> expertise and their hard work, on a par with other employees and
> consultants working for OLPC.

Unfortunately, given the financial structure of OLPC and SugarLabs (the
latter of which actually administers the Pootle translation/localization
system used for the XO software), I would guess that none of the current
language administrators for the SugarLabs Pootle system are remunerated,
and I suspect that this is unlikely to change anytime soon.

That doesn't mean that there may not be professional translators or OLPC
employees acting as administrators, just that they are unlikely to be
getting paid for doing this.  It is more possible that some translations
have been done (for pay) by professional translators (this may be the
case with the Kreyòl translations Guy-Serge Pompilus reports, I don't
know) but I would guess that these would have been delivered to the
administrators in bulk form and incorporated with little if any review
or modification.

In most cases, the administrator's role in a Pootle
translation/localization system involves coordination between and among
translators and developers, along with some amount of automated
consistency checking to handle technical (non-language-specific) issues
with the translations.  As such, IT and software development experience
is probably more relevant than language proficiency although of course
both are helpful.

As Chris noted, Pootle has a permissions system that can be configured
by an administrator (again - IT experience helpful here) to give
different users different levels of access to the translation:
"suggestion" (noted as a comment on the current translations, for later
review), "submission" (a change to the current translation), "review"
(incorporating and/or deleting suggestions), and "commit" (actually
delivering the set of translations to the software development/build
system).  By limiting non-expert translators to suggestions, expert
translators can review any translations before changes are made, or an
administrator performs a commit.

However, that is the theory, and in practice, most professional
translators are much more skilled in languages than in computer
technology - they probably already use their own preferred set of
translation tools (this may just be Microsoft Word), and are less likely
to be as interested in learning the moderately complex Pootle interface
to review translations.  So the ability to effectively utilize
professional translators (even when money is available to pay them) can
be limited, and will often require volunteer administrators familiar
with the Pootle system to "bridge the gap" and provide export and import
to and from the formats the professional translators use.

That said, I think that professional translators do have something to
contribute to this effort, and what's more, in the specific context of
Haiti there is currently some opportunity to engage them even without
any money to lay on the table.  In particular, I would note the
following two blog postings
http://renatobeninatto.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-translation-industry-can-do-for.html
and especially
http://www.milengo.com/what-the-translation-industry-is-doing-for-haiti-relief/
as providing a lot of information about professional translation
resources being mobilized in support of Haiti.  Many of these, I expect,
may have very limited ability to support Kreyòl translation, but there
are at least some.  It certainly would make sense for this group to make
contact with some of these others to see what joint efforts and/or
coordination is possible.

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com